New Hampshire!

Pics
Also, do you sell your BR's? Sorry that was where I was headed with those questions, then read it again and thought, maybe that intent wasn't "implied" LOL Just incase I get a lot of Roo's out of my straight run( wouldn't be the first time)...I want a flock, all raised together...will keep atleast one roo, as I do want to raise my own, eventually! I rent a cottage on 4 acres, and my landlord said ok to having chickens, so I can add onto a coop, as needed...plus they have a truck here that I can borrow to scavange wood, ect to keep costs down. I plan to build bigger than what I need anyway, so I CAN add to the flock...hopefully from my own stock, as I do want to have the meat as well as the eggs! I have eaten roo's before and thought they were a quite tough . Better for soups! Any and all suggestions are always greatly appreciated!!!!
smile.png

oh, sorry, thought your avatar was of a BR...is that a Dominique? If so, they look so much alike
idunno.gif
again, my deepest apologies for assuming!!! Do you sell chicks? Do Dominique's get along with BR's? I remember when my Dad and I raised the BR's, they some had real problems with other breeds, so we stuck to all BR's. I really liked the breed though!

I just read up on the Dominique's, wow...they are beautiful and yes they kinda look like a BR, to my bad eyes, in these small pic's LOL...it's just me though, they are very majestic...I want some, after reading about them!!!! Do you sell chicks? Do you think they would get along with my BR's? IMHO I think animals that look alike seem to get along better...atleast that was the way it was with my dog kennel. Had an accidental breeding, while at a race, and the pups all looked like labs...the Mom abandoned them
ep.gif
kept trading them with her sisters litter of huskies LOL I found them all good homes though!(after two months of bottle and hand feeding/weaning) I love the fact that they forage so well and that the roo's taste as good as the hens and they lay in the cold and tolerate confinement, as winters are long up here...wish I had known about them before I ordered my lot...although the small hatchery I ordered from only gave a few options for small orders
sad.png
I would've had to find some locally. Would be VERY interested in buying some though!! With the straight run, I know I am going to have to cull quite a few, or eat them...if I decide to raise the roo's to the eatable size. Not sure if I can cull babies though
sad.png
The pic;s of the roo's are awesome...love the tail feathers!!!!

Soooo, if you do sell chicks, would be very interested! They sound like a wonderful Heritage bird that would be great for me and my area!
big_smile.png

Hi again. Never having owned any BRs, I cannot speak to how well they would get along with Dominiques. I do sell eggs/chicks/pullets/etc. but we are done with breeding for the season and I'm mostly down to my own replacement flock for next year. I may have some adults available in a few months, but that's it for now. There are two other Dominique breeders in NH that I know of, vnsseed: http://www.vnsseed.com/ and othala acres: http://www.othalaacres.com/

Hi again. Never having owned any BRs, I cannot speak to how well they would get along with Dominiques. I do sell eggs/chicks/pullets/etc. but we are done with breeding for the season and I'm mostly down to my own replacement flock for next year. I may have some adults available in a few months, but that's it for now. There are two other Dominique breeders in NH that I know of, vnsseed: http://www.vnsseed.com/ and othala acres: http://www.othalaacres.com/
Thanks for the plug...
smile.png
. We are doing one more hatch, going in this week. We only sell straight run, though. PM me if you are interested.

Thank you, both of you. I live in Whitefield NH...we ONLY have a Farm and Tractor here and they don't sell the mash! That's why I was asking, as I will have to order online. If you know of anyone selling feed in my area, I would greatly appreciate it! I don't know why the store doesn't sell the mash???? I even went back to get some, thinking I had made a mistake
he.gif
Been back 3-4 times now, with forgotten or not thought of needs LOL They are in Littleton NH.

I have only enough to buy a bag of mash, not for shavings too, since I already bought a bag of the crumbles, till my next SS check comes in...it took a bit more $ to set up then I thought/ had budgeted for. I have a big lawn mower box, in my living room for the brooder box...I am shredding a bunch of those free news papers, and cutting the top ones a bit so they aren't so long and will put paper towels on the top, till my next check, then get a bale of those store shavings. Will the news paper work for temp? The chicks will be here before my next check. I could put an old towel down???? if that would be better over the shredder news paper...someone said it was too slippery???

Hi, I live in Maine but do check in on my neighbors from time to time. I buy chick starter crumbles and for the first week or so I use a blender with a mason jar and grind up the crumbles to make the mash. It works great.

Oh wonderful, thank you all
smile.png
I do have a blender and will try that, have a coffee grinder too! I called Agway and they too only sell the crumbles...she suggested the blender...I asked why they changed from mash to crumbles and she said there must be a reason...wonder why?

I was thinking of next year for the Dom's. If I get a broody or two, maybe sticking some eggs under her? Does that really work? I read a book where someone found a nest of partridge with Mom dead from critter and a hen hatched and raised the chicks till they flew off...or maybe just a few more chicks next year...I don't want to over load myself this year, just starting up again, after all this time and really want a big coop up before taking on a Heritage breed...Just trying to plan ahead ! I'm a planner usually, this is the exception this year...have been thinking about starting chickens again for a couple years...still haven't decided if I am going to build a separate coop or use one of the stable stalls that never got used...There are two 9' by 12' stables...owner of property wanted horses, but it never happened...would be perfect for two flocks...even has a nice size wood fenced in area I could wire up very easily. Will be talking with owner when he calls back to decide which way to go! I rent a small cabin here, so have to clear all through owner who lives in another state.

I wrote all you guys in my chicken notebook for next year ordering, Do you guys sell small orders too? I really want some Dom's!! Sorry DraigAthar, but I really want to start with either eggs or chicks...there's always that chance that personalities won't mix or they miss home, but HUGE thanks for the offer
big_smile.png

Thank you all for your answers and help!!!!

Hi I am in Dalton and also shop in Littleton. I used the crumbles with warm water for the first few weeks, they did very well with it. I also went with the paper towels to start. I now use shavings as they are older but using the paper towels and crumbles (I changed them twice a day) worked great I have a very happy and healthy flock.

Hi Im in shelburne, gorham is the next town. I just dropped in an was suprized t o here someone close by!
Hi I am in Dalton and also shop in Littleton. I used the crumbles with warm water for the first few weeks, they did very well with it. I also went with the paper towels to start. I now use shavings as they are older but using the paper towels and crumbles (I changed them twice a day) worked great I have a very happy and healthy  flock.

I just dropped in an to my suprize someonee close to home! Im close to gorham. What do you zhave?

Back
Top Bottom