New HatchKeeper Software Release.

No need to update until you're ready to do another one. I'm just running a small hatch for Easter chicks.
I'll probably roll out a dev release after all, since this bug affects all batches with 28 day incubation length and it might be a while before the next major release.
But until then if you want to use the export calendar feature for ducks or turkeys you'll have to add a letter or number to the end of the last line that starts with UID:

@Tabasco Jack Thanks for helping me resolve this issue:thumbsup

Ok you'll find an update here:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/hatchkeeper/files/HatchKeeper/v0_60_2-development/

To update your existing install without affecting any settings or batches. Run the self-extracting exe. In the folder where it extracted, you'll find a file named HatchKeeper.exe, copy this file and replace the HatchKeeper.exe in your current install. Double-click the new HatchKeeper.exe and check to make sure all your settings, batches, reminders, etc are as they should be. And that's all there is to it.
Like usual if something doesn't work or you're having problems let me know.

Thanks

mill-j

The full install worked great! Tried to use the portable version, but can't seem to locate it after it installs, even though I chose the location to install. It's like it's invisible. I'm not a novice with software or computers, so I'm a bit baffled. I even tried to install to the desktop and still couldn't find it. Windows 8.1 and hk ver. 0.70

The full install worked great! Tried to use the portable version, but can't seem to locate it after it installs, even though I chose the location to install. It's like it's invisible. I'm not a novice with software or computers, so I'm a bit baffled. I even tried to install to the desktop and still couldn't find it. Windows 8.1 and hk ver. 0.70
On my computer's the 0.70.0 portable installer will create a folder named HatchKeeper_0_70_0_Portable that contains the app and it's components. I'll try running it under Windows 8.1 when I get a chance. Another thing that should work is just extract the exe with 7zip (I think it ships with win 8).

Hope this helps.

Edit: It seems I made a mistake in the manual. In the manual I wrote "navigate to the folder where you extracted HatchKeeper and run HatchKeeper.exe" and it should mention that HatchKeeper.exe is in another sub folder of the folder you selected to extract too. I'll fix it for the next manual release. Thanks :)

mill-j

Last edited:
On my computer's the 0.70.0 portable installer will create a folder named HatchKeeper_0_70_0_Portable that contains the app and it's components. I'll try running it under Windows 8.1 when I get a chance. Another thing that should work is just extract the exe with 7zip (I think it ships with win 8).

Hope this helps.

Edit: It seems I made a mistake in the manual. In the manual I wrote "navigate to the folder where you extracted HatchKeeper and run HatchKeeper.exe" and it should mention that HatchKeeper.exe is in another sub folder of the folder you selected to extract too. I'll fix it for the next manual release. Thanks :)

mill-j
Thanks! Not a big deal. Just trying it out. The 7-Zip extraction worked!

Last edited:
@mill-j I am loving your Hatchkeeper, but I have a question or maybe a feature request. Is there a way to archive hatches so they aren't in the lower left after hatch?
Thanks, That's something that's crossed my mind several times. The exact feature you mention is not implemented, but there are some features that might help. The easiest is probably sort by hatch date, this is not ideal but the oldest hatch dates go to the bottom of the list.

Second: if you're running the latest version(0.75) you might be able to use Groups. My current setup is two groups, Incubating and 2019, the batches get added to the Incubating groups then after hatching they are moved to 2019. At the end of the year(monthly might work better) I'll export the 2019 group and a group report. The report will be a text file with all the statistics for the group and batches and the .hkbf file that I export can be imported again at any time, if I want to use the graphs or something.

I guess a person could export individual batches after a hatch but that could be time consuming.

I will put this on the TODO list, however it might be a while before a new version rolls out.

Thanks again

mill-j

Thanks, That's something that's crossed my mind several times. The exact feature you mention is not implemented, but there are some features that might help. The easiest is probably sort by hatch date, this is not ideal but the oldest hatch dates go to the bottom of the list.

Second: if you're running the latest version(0.75) you might be able to use Groups. My current setup is two groups, Incubating and 2019, the batches get added to the Incubating groups then after hatching they are moved to 2019. At the end of the year(monthly might work better) I'll export the 2019 group and a group report. The report will be a text file with all the statistics for the group and batches and the .hkbf file that I export can be imported again at any time, if I want to use the graphs or something.

I guess a person could export individual batches after a hatch but that could be time consuming.

I will put this on the TODO list, however it might be a while before a new version rolls out.

Thanks again

mill-j

Thanks, I'll try the group thing! Seriously, this is amazing software you have created, I would be a mess without it. (Because I like to randomly just stick eggs in the incubator, so now I have a hatching 'bator that they move to for lockdown when HatchKeeper tells me it's time! I have about 6 different lockdown dates in my incubators right now :gig:wee)

Thanks, I'll try the group thing! Seriously, this is amazing software you have created, I would be a mess without it. (Because I like to randomly just stick eggs in the incubator, so now I have a hatching 'bator that they move to for lockdown when HatchKeeper tells me it's time! I have about 6 different lockdown dates in my incubators right now :gig:wee)
:thumbsupSounds a lot like me, my incubator has been running for quite a while this year. Over 20 batches since February...

HatchKeeper has been one of my hobbies for several years now. A lot of people have helped with ideas. We've discussed your suggestion and we are planning to add it to the next release:caf You might want to subscribe to the other thread for updates. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/free-egg-incubation-software-new-release.1235974/

Thanks

mill-j

Back
Top Bottom