1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New hatchlings pics and ?'s

Discussion in 'Geese' started by New Dreamz, May 31, 2011.

1. New Dreamz

New Dreamz Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2011
    The 1st one hatched on the 29th, the 2nd one started its external pip very late that night. Took all day the 30th and had a big size hole, but just couldnt seem to break out or make the turn. So today I thought i would give it some help, it already had its beak and half a foot sitting there ready to kick out, sure enough, as soon as i started making the circle bigger, it just jumped right out...lol

[​IMG]
    Hey Bro, What can I do to help?

Ok, so now the 2nd one is out, I was examining it and its poor little vent is red and irritated. It did some major pooping in the shell, nothing like the little one its sibling took. Should I put something on it?

As you can see the 1st one is doing great! Very strong and curious little thing. Eating and drinking really good too.

Ok as to my other post about the egg not chirping anymore. Well I couldnt stand it anymore so I made a little hole in the air pocket to see if it was still alive..... Nope.... anyone know what caused it to die? Did I do something wrong? I want to make sure it dont happen again.

2. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Awwwwwwwww, they are so cute!!!

3. Rosebud 18

Rosebud 18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    middle Tn
    Oh they are the cutest little thing.

4. pete55

pete55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    Hi

Congratulations and well done on getting your cute little babies. I dare say the navel area of the 2nd baby has healed now but routinely I spray the navel with dry iodine spray as soon as they're born.

Did you weigh your eggs before and during incubation? Also did the aircell of the 3rd egg drawdown just before hatching was due and did the baby internally pip the aircell membrane. To be fair you've had a great result and acheived a 66% hatch rate [​IMG]

Pete [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by