New hen: foamy eye

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CptCluck, Feb 19, 2013.

1. CptCluck

CptCluck Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2011
    Indianapolis
    We got two new hens last Friday (4 days ago) and noticed today that one has a foamy eye.

I've been reading around and this appears to be a respiratory infection, and I hear it's highly contagious. Of course all the hens are stressed because of the two newcomers. This is a young hen (with almost no comb,) and I paid $7 for her. She's eating and drinking fine, but is getting hen-pecked as the other hens assert their dominance.

Now I'm concerned my 4 original hens will have this too, as it's been 4 days! Any advice?

There are no chicken vets around, and I hear you cannot buy antibiotics from the store anymore.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  2. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    You can get antibiotics from Tractor Supply and online. The main thing you need to do is, get that other hen quarantined away from the rest of the flock. You should always quarantine new birds for about a month to keep the other ones safe. Once you quarantine her you can treat her and be sure to watch for symptoms in the others.

3. CptCluck

May 18, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Have you tried to get animal antibiotics lately? I went online a while back and they all need a prescription.

4. CptCluck

May 18, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Should I be getting Tylan or Corid?

5. CptCluck

May 18, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Here's a picture...
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by