New hen plucking herself

crc310

Songster
Feb 25, 2013
Michigan
We adopted a lonely hen 10 days ago. She was used to being free range. I have a roo and 3 hens already (free range). I have quarantined her in a makeshift 6'x8' covered pen with roosts, a carrier (night time home), a dust bath, etc. She has escaped 3 times, I think it is finally escape proof now! She has only given us one egg (day3). A few days ago, I noticed feathers lying on the ground under the roosts. Everyday, there are more! I think she is stressed or bored being cooped up so she's plucking herself! Should I just let her out to mingle with the others, hoping she comes back at night? Each time she has escaped she gets picked at by the oldest hen (hierarchy?). As soon as I realize she is out, I get her back in the pen. Thoughts?

Well unfortunately if she has already been with your flock then I'd say the point of quarantining her is now moot. Yes she is going to be picked on because of the pecking order, no worries unless it gets really bad. Have you checked her for mites/lice? Is her pen on grass? How about creating some "toys" for her if you want to keep her by herself a bit longer. Give her something to climb around on.

That's kind of what I was thinking. I have checked her over several times. I am new to chickens but haven't seen signs of mites/ live. Base of feathers and legs scales look good. She has grass, 2 roosts, a dust bath, garden veggies, treats, and 2 "nesting areas". She has access to any bugs in the grass or on the fence. Thinking that she has been here 10 days, she should know she is "home"! Tonight I'll probably put her in the coop with the others. We will see what tomorrow holds! Thanks!

Hmmmm.... Got home and she is missing. When i let them out this morning, our roo immediately chased after her and got what he wanted to give her for 11 days! Then our oldest hen attacked her, last i saw she was perched on a roost in the run with the other 2 young hens. Spent an hour searching for her this eveing. We have a treeline she has gone to previously. It is 40'x800' back (beyond our property line) and thick. There are acres upon acres of corn fields behind us and a farm infront of us. I was able to get through about 1/3 of the treeline before it got too thick and had poison ivy, stopped just beyond our property line. Hoping she comes home! She doesn't respond the any treats, food or calling for her.

All this worry! After posting, I checked out the side window by the woods again. THERE SHE IS! Lmao! Thank God! I'll let her go in by herself tonight!

Back
Top Bottom