New Hen?

OldEnglishGameBantam33

Free Ranging
Oct 15, 2018
CA
My Coop
My Coop
I have seven healthy hens and a friend of mine asked if we would take on of theirs. They didn't know what breed it was but they described her as "Big and yellow" my first thought was Buff Orpington. I don't know if it is safe to bring her into my flock. They say she is healthy and the owner is a k-9 vet so I have good reason to believe her. I don't want to endanger my flock and My bantam Daisy. What do I do??

Thx!

I have seven healthy hens and a friend of mine asked if we would take on of theirs. They didn't know what breed it was but they described her as "Big and yellow" my first thought was Buff Orpington. I don't know if it is safe to bring her into my flock. They say she is healthy and the owner is a k-9 vet so I have good reason to believe her. I don't want to endanger my flock and My bantam Daisy. What do I do??

Thx!
The best thing would be to go and see the chicken, and asses its health that way. Could you ask your friend to send you a picture if that's not possible?

Thx!
Maybe Keep her isolated in a small coop and put it in the main coop that way she will get used to having them around.
Then when she is used to them around let her out Only when you are out there though.....

Have an area far away from your chickens that you can keep her in for a minimum of 2 weeks or more if possible. See if she has any problems in that time so whatever it is doesn't spread to the rest of your flock. I like to see the bird before bringing it anywhere near my flock.

After the few weeks are up you introduce them slowly. Have them see each other but not able to actually get to one another. You never really know how introducing a new flock member is going to go, so just be careful when that happens.

Back
Top Bottom