New hens are sneezing

CrazyChickenLady-OR

In the Brooder
Dec 1, 2020
Hello, I did a dumb thing and brought home some hens off of CL. Ages range from 3 months to supposedly 3 yrs.
They are in quarenteen away from my main flock, but the first day I heard a couple sneezes. Kinda wondered about it but haven’t honestly had much time to investigate. Well, today I moved them to a new (bigger) quarenteen pen and dusted for mites... well when I set a couple of them down, they had bubbles in their eyes. Upon closer observation, some of them do sound like their noses are a little stuffy, but there is no significant boogers and no swelling. Everyone is eating and drinking well, most are fat and happy. Could it be anything other than MG or MS?

Hello, I did a dumb thing and brought home some hens off of CL. Ages range from 3 months to supposedly 3 yrs.
They are in quarenteen away from my main flock, but the first day I heard a couple sneezes. Kinda wondered about it but haven’t honestly had much time to investigate. Well, today I moved them to a new (bigger) quarenteen pen and dusted for mites... well when I set a couple of them down, they had bubbles in their eyes. Upon closer observation, some of them do sound like their noses are a little stuffy, but there is no significant boogers and no swelling. Everyone is eating and drinking well, most are fat and happy. Could it be anything other than MG or MS?
To be blunt: Get rid of them cull and bury them deep or incinerate them. I suspect MG. If you handled the sick birds, then handled your healthy birds, you just infected your healthy birds. MG can be passed via the clothing you wear, shoes etc...
Dont waste your time trying to treat sick birds. MG (and other respiratory diseases) make them carriers for life. Get rid of them, you wont regret it.

I am so sorry this happened.
Have you been careful in not transferring the disease to your original flock? You washed hands, changed clothes, etc. before going to your original flock?
I’m worried that your original flock could have also been exposed.

I’ve been very careful. But it’s sounding like many folks are beginning to feel like it’s not such a big deal because so many birds are probably carrying around without even knowing it. And they can contract it from wildlife. Many of the common hatchuries don’t even test for it. As far as destroying them, this is like 50 birds.

I’ve been very careful. But it’s sounding like many folks are beginning to feel like it’s not such a big deal because so many birds are probably carrying around without even knowing it. And they can contract it from wildlife. Many of the common hatchuries don’t even test for it. As far as destroying them, this is like 50 birds.
Dont believe everything you hear. Maintain strict biosecurity and your existing flock will be safe. How many wild sick birds have seen flying around? Think of what the disease does to them internally.
If you order birds from reputable hatcheries as I have, you wont have any problems. I've been doing this for awhile.
https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poultry/mycoplasmosis/mycoplasma-gallisepticum-infection-in-poultry

I’d cull all the newbies as they’ll infect the rest of your flock and you’ll have a bigger situation on your hands. It’s most likely Mycoplasma Gallisepticum (MG) which is a chronic bacteria infection of chickens. MG is incurable and all birds remain lifetime carriers of the disease. This disease can also be passed from infected parents to the offspring via the eggs. You can choose to treat and keep a closed flock with no intentions of breeding to sell to others or giveaway birds or your other option is to cull all affected symptomatic birds. Chickens don’t sneeze unless it’s dusty or it’s from a disease. So they sneeze after they eat or drink? Or is it just random?

Back
Top Bottom