New hens with diarrhea

Hholly

Songster
Jul 3, 2015
Amo, IN
Hey all! I just acquired 4 new hens, less than a year old. They came from a free range situation with a lot of other livestock. They have all been having very runny poos. I have been treating them with Corid and wormed them once with Safeguard. I also gave them some Sa- a-Chick probiotics for 2 days. Things seem a little better, but still pretty runny, yuckos. Is there a chance an antibiotic might help? If so, which one? I'm feeding Purina Flock Raiser.

Thanks for any help or info!

Are they still being free ranged? If not, then they would have had a very sudden change in diet (no more grass, bugs, etc) and they might just be adjusting to it.

Do they have any other symptoms? Puffed up, lethargic, wheezing etc?

Do you have any other chickens? If so, are you quarantining the new ones until you can make sure they are healthy? This is very important to ensure you don't contaminate your original flock and lose everyone, if it's something serious.

I don't think that giving them antibiotics is a good idea, especially if they aren't showing any other symptoms. Different antibiotics treat different things and if you don't have a good diagnosis, you are just contributing to antibiotic resistance. They are also terrible for the digestive system and often CAUSE runny poop.

I would try to add some greens to their diet if they don't already have access to any and try giving them fermented feed. Do a search on here and you will find more information than you know what to do with. A lot of people claim that it makes the droppings more firm and less smelly.

Are they still being free ranged? If not, then they would have had a very sudden change in diet (no more grass, bugs, etc) and they might just be adjusting to it.

No, they are penned.

Do they have any other symptoms? Puffed up, lethargic, wheezing etc?

No, they are active and seem to be getting comfortable with the surroundings. Scratching and running around. No one is laying yet. But, I'm not sure if they were previously.

Do you have any other chickens? If so, are you quarantining the new ones until you can make sure they are healthy? This is very important to ensure you don't contaminate your original flock and lose everyone, if it's something serious.

Yes I have other chickens. I took the risk and integrated them knowing it was a risk.

I don't think that giving them antibiotics is a good idea, especially if they aren't showing any other symptoms. Different antibiotics treat different things and if you don't have a good diagnosis, you are just contributing to antibiotic resistance. They are also terrible for the digestive system and often CAUSE runny poop.

Ok. I just didn't know if there were some common bacterial cause for diarrhea in chickens that was well known. They actually may be improving as of today, seemed like less runny stuff. Hopefully the poop overnight will improve too. I'm continuing with Corid for now.

I would try to add some greens to their diet if they don't already have access to any and try giving them fermented feed. Do a search on here and you will find more information than you know what to do with. A lot of people claim that it makes the droppings more firm and less smelly.

Ok, thanks. I will check into it. They are getting spinach and arugula on a regular basis.
Thanks for the reply!

Sounds like they will be just fine!

And It's common for hens to stop laying after a major change in their situations. Sounds like they are just getting acclimated...nothing to be worried about!

Sounds like they will be just fine!

And It's common for hens to stop laying after a major change in their situations. Sounds like they are just getting acclimated...nothing to be worried about!
Thanks!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom