New hens won't come out of the coop??

tartarsammich

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 10, 2014
I got two Easter Egger hens and put them in at night with my two Red Star hens and they are not getting along very well. Whenever the EE's try to come out they get chased and run back up inside. They won't come out to eat or drink. They are not lethargic, just scared I think. Now they run from me too. What do I do?

Put some food and water in the coop for them and give it a couple of days. This is normal chicken behavior. They all need to work out their pecking order, and the new ones need to get used to their surroundings. Don't try to catch them or get close to them - that will only cause more fear. If you want them to be pets, move slowly, offer treats, just sit quietly among them. Eventually they'll get used to you.

I'm having a similar problem with the 3 new hens I added. I isolated the bully (my RR), and they have food and water in the coop, but unless I let everyone out to free range, they will not come out of the coop on their own. They don't run from me, but I wish they would come out and mingle with the others. Whenever I check on them at night, they're all sleeping together on the roost, but it has progressed beyond that. I'm just giving it a few more days.

I'm having a similar problem with the 3 new hens I added. I isolated the bully (my RR), and they have food and water in the coop, but unless I let everyone out to free range, they will not come out of the coop on their own. They don't run from me, but I wish they would come out and mingle with the others. Whenever I check on them at night, they're all sleeping together on the roost, but it has progressed beyond that. I'm just giving it a few more days.
That's really all you can do. They're not good minglers. Chickens aren't real thrilled with strangers in their territory, and the new ones don't adjust real fast. If you have winters where your chickens will choose to stay in the coop most of the time, they will get used to one another's company and be better in the spring.

Back
Top Bottom