New here! Just moved to the country, weighing the pros and cons of getting chickens

Norcalnewbie

In the Brooder
Dec 13, 2020
Hi everyone,

I just moved with my husband and 2 young daughters to the countryside in Northern California on some acreage and initially thought, what better way to initiate the new lifestyle than to get 6-10 chickens as pets and let them free range all over our property. Catch is, I get sick if I eat more than 1 egg in a sitting, our family only uses maybe half a dozen eggs a week, we travel A LOT, I’m somewhat lazy when it comes to cleaning, and we have too many birds of prey in the area to free range.

Am I crazy for still wanting to get chickens? I’m beginning to rethink this..

Has anyone ever regretted having chickens, or am I just speaking an alien language to a bunch of chicken fanatics?

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I just moved with my husband and 2 young daughters to the countryside in Northern California on some acreage and initially thought, what better way to initiate the new lifestyle than to get 6-10 chickens as pets and let them free range all over our property. Catch is, I get sick if I eat more than 1 egg in a sitting, our family only uses maybe half a dozen eggs a week, we travel A LOT, I’m somewhat lazy when it comes to cleaning, and we have too many birds of prey in the area to free range.

Am I crazy for still wanting to get chickens? Has anyone ever regretted having chickens, or am I just speaking an alien language to a bunch of chicken fanatics?
Nope! Chickens are amazing! I did not really like cleaning the chicken coop, but with the deep litter method you only need to clean the coop 2 times a year. Plus some chickens lay less eggs if you dont want too many eggs. I am pretty sure your girls would LOVE chickens. Your choice though

Hi everyone,

Am I crazy for still wanting to get chickens? Has anyone ever regretted having chickens, or am I just speaking an alien language to a bunch of chicken fanatics?
To fix the traveling problem you could get larger feeders and waterers.

Hi everyone,

Welcome!

Hi everyone,

Welcome! Many folks keep chickens just as fun pets. If you’re not looking for eggs, a few older hens would provide fun watching and good bug control without overwhelming you with eggs.

Note: My parents free-ranged chickens by Placerville for years. Just had to lock them up if the mountain lion was in the neighborhood. The birds learned to stay under the predator mesh other times on their own. Food was free choice, extra if we were going to be gone a bit (neighbor topped off if it was an extended absence).

Head on over to our Northern California thread and you’ll see chickens looking for new homes — maybe you’ll make a special connection with some hens there.

We were planning to raise as chicks this spring- BCM, Silkie, Polish, Lavender orpington, EE, Ameraucna, Cochin. I’ve been endlessly researching night and day to my family’s dismay (when I get into something, I go DEEP). Coop design, breeds, deep litter vs poop board, etc. But now feeling overwhelmed.

We were planning to raise as chicks this spring- BCM, Silkie, Polish, Lavender orpington, EE, Ameraucna, Cochin. I’ve been endlessly researching night and day to my family’s dismay (when I get into something, I go DEEP). Coop design, breeds, deep litter vs poop board, etc. But now feeling overwhelmed.
Well, I'll take some of the load off: the correct answer is "poop boards". :D

Back
Top Bottom