New home made bator

i made my incubater out of a small refridge, its about 18 inches square. i put a little giant egg turner in it, 2 light sockets with 15 watt bulbs, a light dimmer switch, a thermometer with a temp reader probe going to the inside, a water pan and 3 sponges, a small electric fan also hooked to a dimmer switch, a funnel and tube to add water without opening, a 6x8 inch glass cut in the front, 6 holes to release humidity if needed with plugs . we are now waiting for our hydrometer from ebay that has a wireless inside probe. if anyone is interested my wife will help me post pictures. my first incubater was made out of nice plywood but it molded really fast.

Quote:
Yes the temp is stable now. I had it going for 48 hours before I added the eggs. The temp does drop on a night so I move the eggs further towards the light. And in a morning I put on the heating first then when the room temp begins to warm up I move the eggs away from the light.

Quote:
Yes I do. I keep a close eye on it. I look at it every half an hour when im in the house. Only becouse im worred about the temp going up and down. Im new to this so I am very anxtious, nervous and worried. Fightened of making mistakes. Which Im sure I already have.

One piece of advice I would give is to put the eggs into a carton then prop one side up and rotate this 3 times a day. As I had mine layed on the floor the bator ( inside the cardboard box they are in) and I relized that the temp of the floor of the cardboard is hotter than the air. My eggs are now in cartons and I think that I am having better readings from the thermo.

I don't mean to be a pain, but I think you should cover the cooling rack with hardware Cloth so that it fits tightly to the sides of your plastic container. I am afraid the chicks will fall from the cooling rack to the bottom.

just a thought.

Quote:
Thankyou for the question. Yes I have been thinking about this too. On lockdown I will Put in a bigger box so when the chicks hatch (If they do
fl.gif
) they wont fall. Or I may do what you have suggested.

Back
Top Bottom