New Incubator Choice

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by teamsunbelt, Nov 14, 2011.

1. teamsunbelt

teamsunbelt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Midland, NC
    Currently working with a still air LG incubator. It has a turner. Got it for next to nothing at an auction, so it was the best deal going.

I am looking to get a new one for Christmas. I am looking at the Hova models, they seem to get the best reviews on this forum. I will use the turner in the one I have now, maybe make it a hatcher.

Which model of Hova Bator should I go with and why? There appears to be one with the big picture window and preset heater, or the one with smaller windows and temp adjustment.

2. Chic-n-farmer

Chic-n-farmer Showers of Blessings

I think the picture window is a 1588. I read a lot of good stuff about that one on here.

I have a Sportsman I use [​IMG], but before that it was an LG [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  3. HallFamilyFarm

HallFamilyFarm PA ETL#195

Jan 25, 2010
    Collins, Arkansas
    The Genesis by Hovabator has the preset thermostat. Safeset around children, as they can not adjust and COOK your eggs. Had that happen once. If you want a great Christmas, buy the Sportsman cabinet with preset thermostat. Have heard good things about the Brinsea incubators.

4. teamsunbelt

teamsunbelt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Midland, NC
    Quote:Not sure it is going to be one of those Chritmas'. This gift would be from the only somewhat supportive wife. Her favorite saying at the time is "More Chickens, Really?"

5. The Critter Place

The Critter Place Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    We love our Genisis! Will be setting our 3rd hatch tomorrow.

The window is great, it holds temps well... Just plug it in, add water and your good to go. Has a removable tray for the water which makes for easy clean up after the hatch.

[​IMG]

6. HallFamilyFarm

HallFamilyFarm PA ETL#195

Jan 25, 2010
    Collins, Arkansas
    Genesis: Will set on wife's end table.

Sportsman: sets in the floor in a corner of the garage. Totally out of wife's way and sight!

Always point out the bright side of things!

ETA: The Sportsman would be in her best interest. She would never need to look at it, dust it or botehr with it in any way. Getting a Sportsman will actually be helping her keep her living room cleaner and neat.

7. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    I am in love with my Hovabator 1588 w/turner!

BEST thing since sliced bread!

[​IMG]

8. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I bought an LG with a fan for my first incubator with an egg turner as I wasn't sure if I was going to incubate more than once. (I know there are a lot of LG haters on BYC) but I have had many successful hatches. The price was right since I wasn't sure what I was getting into and I was pretty sure I could sell it and recoup most of my expense. I have since bought a couple of Hova-Bators and a Sportsman cabinet incubator. I am happy with the Hova-Bators. They do hold the humidity better then the LG but I do prefer the LG when hatching but do use the Hova-Bators too when hatching. I incubate in the cabinet incubator and I hatch in the LG and Hova-Bator styrofoam incubators. I put 60 into lockdown this morning, 35 in the LG and 25 in a Hova-Bator.

ETA: I have my Sportsman on a table. I used to have it on the floor but found it easier to get the eggs in and out of it on a table, but I do staggered hatches and have a hatch about once a week. My DH just told me I have to quit hatching for awhile as I have the incubators in our guest apartment and we will be having company and he doesn't want them having to share the apartment with a bunch of chicks and eggs. I'll just bring it in the house...

9. Chic-n-farmer

Chic-n-farmer Showers of Blessings

Quote:My Sportsman is in my kitchen..... Hubby's end table is safe from me! [​IMG]

10. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Just a note on "preset". If you read the fine print, this can be adjusted. It comes preset for chicken eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by