New Incubator Choice

teamsunbelt

Songster
8 Years
May 23, 2011
Midland, NC
Currently working with a still air LG incubator. It has a turner. Got it for next to nothing at an auction, so it was the best deal going.

I am looking to get a new one for Christmas. I am looking at the Hova models, they seem to get the best reviews on this forum. I will use the turner in the one I have now, maybe make it a hatcher.

Which model of Hova Bator should I go with and why? There appears to be one with the big picture window and preset heater, or the one with smaller windows and temp adjustment.

I think the picture window is a 1588. I read a lot of good stuff about that one on here.

I have a Sportsman I use
ya.gif
, but before that it was an LG
sad.png

Last edited:
The Genesis by Hovabator has the preset thermostat. Safeset around children, as they can not adjust and COOK your eggs. Had that happen once. If you want a great Christmas, buy the Sportsman cabinet with preset thermostat. Have heard good things about the Brinsea incubators.

Quote:
Not sure it is going to be one of those Chritmas'. This gift would be from the only somewhat supportive wife. Her favorite saying at the time is "More Chickens, Really?"

We love our Genisis! Will be setting our 3rd hatch tomorrow.

The window is great, it holds temps well... Just plug it in, add water and your good to go. Has a removable tray for the water which makes for easy clean up after the hatch.

100_5654.jpg

Genesis: Will set on wife's end table.

Sportsman: sets in the floor in a corner of the garage. Totally out of wife's way and sight!

Always point out the bright side of things!

ETA: The Sportsman would be in her best interest. She would never need to look at it, dust it or botehr with it in any way. Getting a Sportsman will actually be helping her keep her living room cleaner and neat.

Last edited:
I bought an LG with a fan for my first incubator with an egg turner as I wasn't sure if I was going to incubate more than once. (I know there are a lot of LG haters on BYC) but I have had many successful hatches. The price was right since I wasn't sure what I was getting into and I was pretty sure I could sell it and recoup most of my expense. I have since bought a couple of Hova-Bators and a Sportsman cabinet incubator. I am happy with the Hova-Bators. They do hold the humidity better then the LG but I do prefer the LG when hatching but do use the Hova-Bators too when hatching. I incubate in the cabinet incubator and I hatch in the LG and Hova-Bator styrofoam incubators. I put 60 into lockdown this morning, 35 in the LG and 25 in a Hova-Bator.

ETA: I have my Sportsman on a table. I used to have it on the floor but found it easier to get the eggs in and out of it on a table, but I do staggered hatches and have a hatch about once a week. My DH just told me I have to quit hatching for awhile as I have the incubators in our guest apartment and we will be having company and he doesn't want them having to share the apartment with a bunch of chicks and eggs. I'll just bring it in the house...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom