New Jersey

Just wondering if anybody here has ducks. I have been taking care of 3 baby ducks that were found in a sewer when they were about 2 or 3 days old. From what I've been told they are domestic ducks, as 1 is a Peking and the other 2 domestic mallards, I have had them for almost 3 weeks now. They are starting to get their pin feathers in. I am keeping them in an extra large dog crate in our spare room and then during the day I bring them outside for awhile and keep them in another extra large dog crate I also l put them in a kiddie pool as it has been hot here. They are eating chick starter from TSC . I was thinking that maybe I will keep them, but I'm not 100% sure. Do ducks make a lot of noise? Do they get along with chickens? If we did decide to keep them what age before they would need a duck house.
I Raise ducks. To me they are a lot friendlier then chickens. They do not make a lot of noise they may quack when upset or in the morning but they are pretty quiet. I have 2 sebastopol geese, 1 Pekin Hen and 9 adult muscovies and 2 babies!I wouldnt keep them in with chickens just because they will destroy you chickens pens and They are extremely messy babies and please make sure they are on non medicated chick starter they can get sick and possibly die if they are on regular chick starter!

Last edited:
I Raise ducks. To me they are a lot friendlier then chickens. They do not make a lot of noise they may quack when upset or in the morning but they are pretty quiet. I have 2 sebastopol geese, 1 Pekin Hen and 9 adult muscovies and 2 babies!I wouldnt keep them in with chickens just because they will destroy you chickens pens and They are extremely messy babies and please make sure they are on non medicated chick starter they can get sick and possibly die if they are on regular chick starter!
Thanks.....I do have them on non-medicated chick starter. They are really messy. I have been using paper towels to line the bottom of the crate....Been using about a roll a day ,as I do change them often.....what else would I be able to use to line the crate with.
I have no clue about raising ducks.....they came into my life unexpectedly... at least before I got the chickens I had read a lot about what to do with them and I already had the coop being built.
If we do decide to keep them, how much room do they need? For a pen, for their house and for just plain walking around?

Is anyone having problems with there chickens because of the heat? Mine are getting heat exhaustion. They have symptoms of having a cold. And their poop is foamy and a yelowish color.

Back
Top Bottom