New Jersey

Pics

jjthink

Crowing
13 Years
Jan 17, 2007
New Jersey
Thought I'd throw NJ into the mix!
I'm in central NJ, former guardian to a wonderful roo and hen. Sadly, she died in November and he was so depressed. He had taken such exemplary care of her - she was treated like a princess. The coop was on property not mine and the owners didn't want more chickens so I searched and searched for a good home and adopted him out in November. Things were wonderful until recently, when the young hens there began attacking him badly. He is so gentle and loving to hens that he doesn't fight back. I have been asked to take him back (with a hen along for to keep him company) and am scrambling to figure out the building of a safe outdoor run on my property as I am no longer able to be home at dusk like I managed to do before. These people are also no longer comfortable feeding him the special things a roo needs to stay healthy (I had him on a combo of wild game bird food, sunflower seeds, scratch, fruits, veggies, and Avia Charge 2000 in water. He refuses layer food).. Ideally I need a wonderful home for him with someone who is like many of us on BYC who will pull out all the stops to provide good care. A place with no other roos and no crazed attacking hens. Refined gentle adult hens. He needs an understanding soul who can help him adjust and who wouldn't mind my helping at first (he's been through so much in such a short time). It is extremely difficult for me to have chickens at this time but it looks as though I have to get him out of there promptly.

I'm in Warren County NJ-Pohatcong Township to be exact. Only about 1/2 hour from Kingwood-in fact I passed thru Frenchtown/Kingwood yesterday on the way to Rice's Flea Market! Wouldn't it be nice to have a NJ Poultry club? Show,sell,trade,etc...?
Lisa
frow.gif

Last edited:
hmmm why didn't my little smiley man show up? He was supposed to be waving to you all.

Ok- got it fixed now.
Lisa

Last edited:
Woo, I love cowtown! My family goes there every year!

I'm from New Jersey too...Warren County! I live in Hope Township, to be exact. Most people know it better as being the home of The Land of Make Believe.

I have all sorts of birds....from pigeons, to doves, and chickens, turkeys, ducks, and geese! I have many birds for sale too, if anyone is interested! I put a post up in the B/S/T section.

Well, I'm in NC now but born and raised in Cumberland County. Cowtown rodeo was on TV every Friday night when I was a kid. My folks still go there every Tuesday from the 1st of spring thru the fall.

Everybody thinks NJ is some place like Newark or Camden. Hubby was in shock that NJ had trees and about fell out when he saw the miles and miles of farmland.

He knocked of the Jersey comments when I threatened to feed him to the Jersey Devil!!!

Back
Top Bottom