New Jersey

Say more about Red Valley Ranch. I was thinking about trying them in the spring.
They weren't too awful. The most concerning thing was that for some reason they allowed their cats, who had a taste for chicks, to hang around the chick area. When I first walked in, one of the cats was eating what appeared to be a dead chick. When picking out chicks, I had to hold the box up to the lady picking them out, or the cat would have helped itself. The tanks were a bit small for the older chicks, but not too bad for the smaller ones.

When I was on the phone with Brad, he mentioned they have like 300 chickens. So naturally, I was expecting this massive chicken coop, or lots of big/medium sized coops. Instead, the first thing you see once you get past the farm stand is this small shed, and behind that is this massive empty field with 3 doll house sized coops packed to the brim with chickens. The shed turned out to be where they kept the chicks, in little tanks that were barely 8 inches high. The tank that had my Giants was stuffed so full, with 2/3 month old chicks, that they were forcing their heads out through gaps in the doors.
OMG, that is so sad…. i can only imagine the care they give to these animals😔 Its more embarrassing that they advertise on their website like they are the best, and then you show up to that. My agway treats their chickens better….. Honestly if i saw that, i would’ve turned around and went home. That can not be healthy for them.

In little tanks? I didn't see any tanks. In the spring he had the baby chicks in a shed filled with cages on shelves. Similar to what you see in the bird department of a pet store. And it was very well heated. The second time I got some older chicks from prefab coop & run set ups outside. Housing the chicks by age. But it was July, so it was warm enough for the young ones to be outside full time. He took my young Roo to a huge barn. I don't remember seeing tanks.

Sorry you didn't have a pleasant experience. I don't know, maybe I got lucky.
Sorry, I just called them tanks for lack of a better word; they were the cages on shelves. But they had all the chicks crammed in the shed, including the older ones. Those cages seemed way too small for 2+ month old chicks.

Of course, you should probably take whatever I say with a grain of salt, since I am also the kind of person that complains if I see a Betta fish in anything less than a 5g tank.
Because it’s not healthy living quarters. It’s not like you shouldn’t be concerned about, it is animals. And they are trying to sell them 😣

I already asked this in Meat Birds ETC, but I am also going to ask here.
Does anyone know or recommend a butcher/processor near Sussex County? Or does their own butchering and wouldn't mind being paid to do it for someone else?

Have you called around any of the butcher shops in sussex county?
There is a shop nearby called Sussex Meat Packing, but of course they don't actually do meat packing anymore. Kind of like how nothing in the Dollar Tree is a dollar. I haven't checked with Prime Time Meats yet.
I did spot a farm advertising pasture raised chicken down the road on the way home the other day. I might try to talk to them next weekend.

Back
Top Bottom