New layer?? Or random light colored egg?

gclarrot

Songster
Apr 21, 2020
I have 8 ladies who are technically laying age. 3 as I know are laying - 2 Easter eggers and 1 buff Orpington. The one buff is squatting big time and started the day before thanksgiving. I haven’t caught her in the act yet if she even was laying. But this lovely light brown egg was found in the sand this morning after I came home from walking the dogs. As you can see the dark brown eggs in the back are from one of my buffs that is laying.
Could this be her hatchmates egg that I found in the sand this AM?

C626AC53-6599-4FC1-9682-D1FEC976A4F5.jpeg

What breeds are your other birds?
I have seen eggs changes shades a bit but never to the extent it appears in your picture if I’m comparing the one you’re holding to those in the background. For example, I have two brown layers who are also different breeds. One lays a darker brown (she is an ISA brown) and the other lays a lighter brown like the one you’re holding (she is RIR). Even if the shades vary a bit, they are always clearly a different color of brown.

What breeds are your other birds?
I have seen eggs changes shades a bit but never to the extent it appears in your picture if I’m comparing the one you’re holding to those in the background. For example, I have two brown layers who are also different breeds. One lays a darker brown (she is an ISA brown) and the other lays a lighter brown like the one you’re holding (she is RIR). Even if the shades vary a bit, they are always clearly a different color of brown.
All togehter I have 8, 29 - 36 week old pullets. 3/8 are obviously laying. All the eggs in the background are easter eggers (green to blue green eggs, and the 1 buff orphington brown egg).
only 1 additional bird is squatting which is my buff orphington.
I now must now put them in lockdown tomorrow in the run to make sure she doesn't go back to that side of the fence and pop an egg out tomorrow.

And I have four other birds that are 19 weeks old but have no pelvic seperation, interest in nesting box or squatting so I am not even wondering about them but if you're curious its 1 SLW, 1 isa brown, and 2 marans of some sort.

Back
Top Bottom