New Magpie Thread!!!!

Had 2 more babies hatch last night...2 more eggs to go...Hopefully at least one of those will be blue. Wish that they had better coloring, but they are cute no matter what

Trying to find the APA standard for magpies. I know pretty much what it is, but looking for the detailed description...anyone know.

Is there anyone that is a breeder here or is most everyone just the casual magpie owner...Working on trying to connect with others that are breeders.

I am not a breeder per say but I do plan on breeding my magpies and to try an match APA standards but will probably only hatch a few dozen a year.

I am not a breeder per say but I do plan on breeding my magpies and to try an match APA standards but will probably only hatch a few dozen a year.
It is good to know that there are others out there. I haven't found that many. A friend and I are working on trying to work on the smae thing. Good quality magies with the best coloring as possible. Right now I have 12 and 7 ducklings right now. Mostly black and white, but I have several blue and a few crested.

My ducks arrived Wednesday! Ordered 5 from ideal and unfortunately i lost two. Thought i might lose 4 and 5, but thankfully my male and second female made it!!! I have had an incredibly hard time finding other magpie people so i started a group on facebook, Magpie Ducks! I also found someone near me hatching, so hopefully I'll have another 5+ in a few weeks!

My ducks arrived Wednesday! Ordered 5 from ideal and unfortunately i lost two. Thought i might lose 4 and 5, but thankfully my male and second female made it!!! I have had an incredibly hard time finding other magpie people so i started a group on facebook, Magpie Ducks! I also found someone near me hatching, so hopefully I'll have another 5+ in a few weeks!
Looks like it has a black eye.. So cute

I have the five magpies. Also have two mallards (I think) .one of them lays a green egg. The other does a neat thing n lays an extra egg every couple days. Most days we get one from each. Then we get six eggs from five hens.

We're hatching Magpie ducklings... in your experience do the males tend to be cleaner marked? So far that seems the case from what we've seen. We have blues and blacks.

We're hatching Magpie ducklings... in your experience do the males tend to be cleaner marked? So far that seems the case from what we've seen. We have blues and blacks.
I raise and breed Magpies. In my experience I don't see a difference in the cleaner markings.
idunno.gif
It all comes to the parents. All Magpies should have nice clean lines between the colors and the whites. Now I don't sex mine till they are older, but so far they look the same. I have both blues and blacks and so far i have also had my eggs produce a silver and a chocolate! I have crested, but I'm trying to weed them out.

Have to watch cause Anconas can look similar to magpies, but they tend to have "fuzzier" lines instead of the crisp lines that the magpies do..IMO

Back
Top Bottom