New Magpie Thread!!!!

If you have ducks sitting on eggs... do you separate the drake? Let the ducks raise the ducklings or brood them yourselves? Let multiple ducks sit and raise ducklings together?

I mostly try to use my incubator....but I take full advantage of any and all broodies chicken or duck. Magpies aren't known for being broody, but I have 2 right now and I suspect that at least one of them are a mix of something and will be taken out of my main coop as soon as they are done being broody. They are sitting in the main coop right now. I don't know if it is cause they are in with 7 other ducks, but they have not been very successful with incubating any eggs. I have given them some several times and candled at about day 5 and all have come up blank...except this last round. They are sharing 3 eggs and the seem to be doing well this time. As soon as the 6 I have in my incubator hatch I will take their 3 and finish them in the incubator if they are still doing well. I may give them the ducklings back, but not sure yet. I have all my broody coops filled with chicks so I'm short on space. I hope to have one cleared out by the time that they hatch. I would like to give the ducks all of the ducklings to raise, but being first time broodies I don't trust them. I would not let them stay in the coop with the boys. I think that they would be too aggressive and go after the babies. My boys are very "randy"

I have 2 broody hens sitting on magpie eggs. They are 2 of my best broodies and will do a good job with the duckling. I think that there are 9 between the 2 of them. The first round of eggs hatch in a week or so.

We had an Australorp hatch 3 ducklings successfully just today. The 4th pipped the wrong end and didn't make it. :-( We have 1 Magpie hen that's been sitting on eggs for 10 days or so. She started with 8, and last night 1 was broken. I candled the other 7 this AM and 6 of the 7 are developing well. And now a 2nd Magpie duck is sitting on the nest with her. I think I'll remove the drake as hatch day approaches and just see how it goes.

I have a magpie hen sitting on some eggs, when I found the nest there were ten eggs in it, she start sitting two or three days after that so I am not exactly sure how many eggs are under her. I have disturbed her since she started but the eggs are due to hatch next week.

Wow, they are beautiful! Looking at those pictures took me back to when my magpie was duckling. She got used to the hot Texas weather quick and didnt seem to like the one day a year we get snow. Unfortunately, this hasn't been her year. Around March she ate some slugs which didn't agree with her stomach and weakened her legs for a couple of weeks. She finally healed and walked with joy all over the yard foraging until early June when I was given 7 new ducklings. She started sleeping behind her nest area as the ducklings invaded the nest. She was sleeping between two bricks that were placed to prevent squirrels from getting into the pen from my neighbors side of the fence. I didnt notice until I saw her limping and saw she had developed bubble foot. She has improved and is walking for longer periods of time now. Her rehab in a water filled been has been doing miracles both times she's been sick.

I was also looking for a thread about magpies and only found an old thread

Back
Top Bottom