New Magpie Thread!!!!

Babies arrived Thursday from Ideal, i am so glad they shipped a day early and missed being in transit thursday night. A trio of magpies and 2 female buffs (along with 13 male sex links). I need to get some closer individual pictures of everyone.

Cute babies! Definitely need to see individual pics. :D

All 40 of my last order ( 20 of them magpies ) continue to thrive with the exception of the neuro/crested mallard. She's very wobbly. From what little I know of the magpie breed I would say only 2 of them have super classic markings, one of which unfortunately is crested. The others I would say are carrying a bit too much black. I understand the classic pattern is difficult to breed for. The birds are very friendly and curious and appear to have a good foraging instinct. It looks like they will have a nice upright carrage and I've seen no evidence of leg problems. So far I'm very happy with them.

Filled my incubator with Magpie eggs a few days ago! can't wait...just 26 more days to go..

Also shipped out my first bunch of hatching eggs! Very exciting time here on the farm. Can't wait to see how they made it. If everything goes well I will be able to start offering hatching eggs for sale.

So I am fairly new to magpies and was wondering about the "classic" or APA standard marking as ours are getting to the age they should start laying soon and we have started to try and figure out which ones w should pair together. The one thing that is unclear to me about the markings is this: is there suppose to be separation in the black coloring on the wings to the black coloring on the tail or back, or does it matter. the way I read the standard is that they are suppose to have black on their wings and backs roughly in the shape of a heart, and no black feathers underneath on their bellies. we have a few that have black only on their back and wings but only one that has the color separation on the wings going to the tail(flight feathers are white, rest of the wings and tail is black). Does it even matter do they breed true or is it pretty much a tossup? if anyone is more of any expert or even thinks they understand how the markings are suppose to be I would appreciate any input.

So I am fairly new to magpies and was wondering about the "classic" or APA standard marking as ours are getting to the age they should start laying soon and we have started to try and figure out which ones w should pair together. The one thing that is unclear to me about the markings is this: is there suppose to be separation in the black coloring on the wings to the black coloring on the tail or back, or does it matter. the way I read the standard is that they are suppose to have black on their wings and backs roughly in the shape of a heart, and no black feathers underneath on their bellies. we have a few that have black only on their back and wings but only one that has the color separation on the wings going to the tail(flight feathers are white, rest of the wings and tail is black). Does it even matter do they breed true or is it pretty much a tossup? if anyone is more of any expert or even thinks they understand how the markings are suppose to be I would appreciate any input.
Always nice to learn something new..What I have found so far is that the shape on the back should be heart shape with no color on the thighs. I am trying to find it out too...

I know that I'm not really a big help. This is my 3rd year with my Magpies, but my first real breeding season. I have what I think is one really great marked Drake, but have learned from different web pages is that trying to breed to the exact show standard is almost impossible.

I just set my first eggs too. Last year I hatched a few eggs, but not many. I didn't have the time to have lots of ducklings.

I am looking forward to ducklings in 28 days. I have a few pekin x magpie eggs in the incubator. Those will actually be moved into a second incubator at lockdown time so I can mark them with a legband when they hatch. They'll just be sold locally as pets.

One of my girlies.

The eggies. Yes some are very light blue! The huge ones are pekin.

Back
Top Bottom