New member - Biofilter recommendations please?

I really appreciate the advice, thanks Dobie šŸ˜Š Just for a bit more info (and because I'm hoping you might tell me what you think); the filter is fed by a separate high-powered pump. It's designed for Koi, which are a lot heavier poo producers than most fish, and we've gone for a model that's designed to filter 10x the volume of the pond we actually have, when used with koi. These are the specs:
Decorative Ponds: up to 20000 Litres
Ponds with a small mix of fish: up to 12000 Litres
Ponds with a small mix of koi: up to 10000 Litres
Maximum Pump Flow rate: 10000L/h
Power of UV-Clarifier: 18W
Voltage: 220-240v
Cable Length: 5m
Dimensions: 380 x 380 x 740 (mm) (L x W x H)
Filter Compartment Volume: 38 Litres

What do you think? Xx
I'm really sorry but I still don't think it's going to work without the bottom drain. But again, hook it up and give it a go. Are you using an external pump or a submersible and what are the specs on the pump?

I'm really sorry but I still don't think it's going to work without the bottom drain. But again, hook it up and give it a go. Are you using an external pump or a submersible and what are the specs on the pump?
Hey Dobie šŸ˜Š
It's a submersible pump;
Flow rate: 5200L/h
Height Max: 480cm
Dimensions: 350 x 310 x 198mm (L x W x H)
Cable Length: 10m (Plug not included)
Pump power: 55w
UV power: 11w
Voltage: 220-240V
Outlet fits: 20 and 25mm / 0.75 and 1 hose.
Ps our pond is approximately 1000 litres over two levels:
Lower is 120cm X 120 by depth 40,
Upper is approx 120 X 50 X 30cm depth. They're separated by about 700 cm height and there's a small waterfall between them. The ducks also have access to two areas of earth planted up with duck-friendly herbs, and have two small coops for night time

Hey Dobie šŸ˜Š
It's a submersible pump;
Flow rate: 5200L/h
Height Max: 480cm
Dimensions: 350 x 310 x 198mm (L x W x H)
Cable Length: 10m (Plug not included)
Pump power: 55w
UV power: 11w
Voltage: 220-240V
Outlet fits: 20 and 25mm / 0.75 and 1 hose.
Ps our pond is approximately 1000 litres over two levels:
Lower is 120cm X 120 by depth 40,
Upper is approx 120 X 50 X 30cm depth. They're separated by about 700 cm height and there's a small waterfall between them. The ducks also have access to two areas of earth planted up with duck-friendly herbs, and have two small coops for night time
So your max flow is 5200 L/h and you have an upper pond and a lower pond with a waterfall so you have some level of head which reduces your pumps put. Every 10' of pipe from the pump to the outlet is equal to 1' of head. Add this number to the distance from the surface of the lower pond to the discharge point at the upper pond to get total head. There should be a chart with the pump where you can extrapolate your pond's head to get max output.
Is your submersible in a skimmer or just in the bottom of the pond and it's it capable of handing solids?
I'd guess you'll be able to get about 3-4 pond turnovers per hour. I still think you are going to clog the filter!

So your max flow is 5200 L/h and you have an upper pond and a lower pond with a waterfall so you have some level of head which reduces your pumps put. Every 10' of pipe from the pump to the outlet is equal to 1' of head. Add this number to the distance from the surface of the lower pond to the discharge point at the upper pond to get total head. There should be a chart with the pump where you can extrapolate your pond's head to get max output.
Is your submersible in a skimmer or just in the bottom of the pond and it's it capable of handing solids?
I'd guess you'll be able to get about 3-4 pond turnovers per hour. I still think you are going to clog the filter!
I can't do the math on that - I have no idea what head is. Essentially, I've bought the best I can find for the money I have. Right now, I don't have the energy to create a full biological system, so I've done what I can. I grew up on a farm; the smell doesn't bother me one bit. I just want clean water for my ducks and not to have to completely empty my pond every few days

I mean you can't blame ducks for acting like ducks. They're slobs.
Yeah, I know. I've spent my whole life with animals. I find that quite a weirdly passively aggressive thing to say, given that I've never 'blamed' my beloved ducks for anything! Perhaps this isn't the place for me - I was looking for friendly discussion, not people to be condescending and insulting.

Yeah, I know. I've spent my whole life with animals. I find that quite a weirdly passively aggressive thing to say, given that I've never 'blamed' my beloved ducks for anything! Perhaps this isn't the place for me - I was looking for friendly discussion, not people to be condescending and insulting.
My bad and my sincere apology.

Please let us now how the filter works out.

Back
Top Bottom