New Member from Chicago, IL

@Wyorp Rock how does this look to you?
I didn't read the whole thread, this is in the Welcome Forums.
ER Forums, the OP may get more input.
It's a deep wound and going to take time to heal.
Good that's there's no odor.
Aspirin shouldn't really be given for more than 3 days, so if you can find a vet that will prescribe some pain relief that would be best.

Aspirin shouldn't really be given for more than 3 days, so if you can find a vet that will prescribe some pain relief that would be best.

I am glad to meet you, and totally impressed by your skills at nursing your Chocolate from the beginning. I am so glad she is beginning to heal.

Here are some pictures that might help you see the difference between what we think of as "chicken wire" compared to "hardware cloth," which has square holes. Hardware cloth has heavier wire which is why it's better protection against predators. Here is an article about how to improve predator protection on existing and new coops and runs. It is not long, and has helpful pictures.

Here is a link to some designs for runs, some of which can be built with relatively inexpensive materials, and sometimes found items.
1. Hoop Design (probably the most cost effective design that gives a walk-in coop or run
2. Alternate Hoop designs and More Hoop designs
3. Combined Open Air Coop and Run
4. 24 Chicken Runs
Hi Boppo, thank you so much for the links and feedback. Our current coop and run v3.0 is covered in hardware cloth. We had rats tunneling under v2.0, so this smaller v3.0 was placed directly on top of hardware cloth and sewen together to avoid anything getting in our out. The problem with the attacks is lack of communication with me and my son. Some days I'd open the coop and let them out to free range, some days he would do the same. I'd forget to close or he'd forget and hence the raccoon attacks happened. Here is an up close look at our v3.0 and Chocolate after being fed and sunbathe a bit today at lunch time. Praying for her health, she isn't using her legs and didn't poop today. I've tried to find an avian vet, but there are non in the surrounding 20 miles. So with this site and it's guidance in emergencies and a link someone shared with me we are still going. I stopped the aspirin like someone previously mentioned and I just keep spraying her. Thanks for taking the time to like my posts. I've had chocolate for almost 5 years, the others I've had since 2017, but that bunch is now gone 😔 our first trio, Rossi, Rizzo, & Zobrist, 2 Orpingtons and 1 Plymouth. Our additions were Caramelo & Chocolate as their mates were taken by hawks at my bffs home. Caramelo ended up with Mareks disease and Chocolate here is our last. She's a survivor! Well I wish you a good evening and God bless.

Attachments

• 20221006_125651.jpg
    20221006_125651.jpg
    546.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 20221006_121539.jpg
    20221006_121539.jpg
    769 KB · Views: 3
Hi Boppo, thank you so much for the links and feedback. Our current coop and run v3.0 is covered in hardware cloth. We had rats tunneling under v2.0, so this smaller v3.0 was placed directly on top of hardware cloth and sewen together to avoid anything getting in our out. The problem with the attacks is lack of communication with me and my son. Some days I'd open the coop and let them out to free range, some days he would do the same. I'd forget to close or he'd forget and hence the raccoon attacks happened. Here is an up close look at our v3.0 and Chocolate after being fed and sunbathe a bit today at lunch time. Praying for her health, she isn't using her legs and didn't poop today. I've tried to find an avian vet, but there are non in the surrounding 20 miles. So with this site and it's guidance in emergencies and a link someone shared with me we are still going. I stopped the aspirin like someone previously mentioned and I just keep spraying her. Thanks for taking the time to like my posts. I've had chocolate for almost 5 years, the others I've had since 2017, but that bunch is now gone 😔 our first trio, Rossi, Rizzo, & Zobrist, 2 Orpingtons and 1 Plymouth. Our additions were Caramelo & Chocolate as their mates were taken by hawks at my bffs home. Caramelo ended up with Mareks disease and Chocolate here is our last. She's a survivor! Well I wish you a good evening and God bless.
I guess videos don't attach so here are more photos of day 5.

Attachments

• VideoCapture_20221006-222841.jpg
    VideoCapture_20221006-222841.jpg
    812.7 KB · Views: 3
  • VideoCapture_20221006-222916.jpg
    VideoCapture_20221006-222916.jpg
    544.9 KB · Views: 4
  • VideoCapture_20221006-222936.jpg
    VideoCapture_20221006-222936.jpg
    851.1 KB · Views: 3
  • VideoCapture_20221006-223003.jpg
    VideoCapture_20221006-223003.jpg
    476.4 KB · Views: 3
  • VideoCapture_20221006-223044.jpg
    VideoCapture_20221006-223044.jpg
    408.2 KB · Views: 3
  • VideoCapture_20221006-223051.jpg
    VideoCapture_20221006-223051.jpg
    510.6 KB · Views: 3
Hi Wyorp Rock. I posted in the ER section but got no replies, so I must and written it incorrect. I stopped the aspirin today, but I fer her and kept spraying her with the Veterycin. I have looked for an avian vet for a while even before because I had a hen with Mareks to no avail. I have to leave the city into the prarie to find a vet. A member posted a link with help on it and I've done my best to follow. Thank you for taking the time to check my post out. May you have a good evening.

Hi Wyorp Rock. I posted in the ER section but got no replies, so I must and written it incorrect. I stopped the aspirin today, but I fer her and kept spraying her with the Veterycin. I have looked for an avian vet for a while even before because I had a hen with Mareks to no avail. I have to leave the city into the prarie to find a vet. A member posted a link with help on it and I've done my best to follow. Thank you for taking the time to check my post out. May you have a good evening.
Hope she recovers quickly.

I'm not finding any posts made by you in the ER forums.

I don't think I did it right. This is what I see on my end. The first post. I wanted to delete that post but didn't know how and start fresh.

I don't think I did it right. This is what I see on my end. The first post. I wanted to delete that post but didn't know how and start fresh.
I can't seem to now find the member that recommended this page. This link have been most helpful.

Post in thread 'Chicken attacked, extreme neck injury. Advice? Graphic images' https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...y-advice-graphic-images.1550416/post-26195120

Back
Top Bottom