Is my name choices clever?

• Ehhhhhhhhhhhh.... it's whatever

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Tyson_chickens

Chirping
Mar 16, 2019
Hanford, CA
Hello, I'm introducting myself as a new member on the backyard chickens.

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
I am fairly new to chickens, however, my research is not haha. I've been looking up how to take care of chickens for a long time now and when I finally got my first chickens (and ducks) I was prepared. But of course no amount of research could prepare me to the real life fun and struggles of bird care.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
At this moment I have 5 chickens and 2 ducks

(3) What breeds do you have?
I have 3 Easter Eggers, 1 Plymouth Barred Rock, and 1 New hampshire Red (2 Pekins ducks as well)

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
Right now only 1 chicken lays eggs (she is the older chicken we got from a friend) but I'm excited for the moment they all start laying. I raised the other birds from when they were only a day old so I love how they are very social and come when called. Although they don't care to be picked up, they certainly don't mind eating from your hands.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
My other hobbies include gardening (which has become more of a hassel now that we have chickens haha).

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
I have a boyfriend who lives with me and put up with my love of animals (he likes them too just not as much as me) We equally take care of our 5 chickens, 2 ducks, 3 bunnies, and our pitbull dog, Lacy. Since Lacy is technically my dog, he wants a puppy of his own. I have been very wary about getting another puppy since they tend to be very destructive (hence why I got Lacy when she was already 2 years of age) but I have been trying to convice him to trade in the idea of a puppy for a pot bellied pig instead. No luck so far but I'm gonna keep trying! haha
My boyfriend also doesn't agree with me on the names that I have given the animals either, personally I thought I was being very clever but he thinks they are lame. What are your opinions?
Our oldest chicken = Henny (kinda like the drink)
1 Easter Egger = Chickadee (kinda like the song)
2 Easter Egger = Chicka (I'll admit I kinda ran out of ideas for this one)
Plymouth Rock = Omelette (due to her very curious natural of getting into everything)
New Hampshire Red = Birdie (this one was a long discussion on how this name came to be... best to save this bit of info for anyone really interested in actually knowing haha)
Duck w/ afro = Ducky (full name Ducky Brown - which is supposed to be a play on a 70's Foxy Brown where she had a big afro)
Duck w/o afro = Quackers (my bf came up with the name and I thought it was a good one)
(Bunnies don't currently have an offical name... we just found out their gender and 2 are exactly identical so it's hard to tell them apart.) Name that the bf came up with were B-Bop, Hip-Hop, Dew-drop and possibly Dew-bop. Names I came up so far was Bun-bun.
Also Lacy isn't the name I came up for my dog, when we got her she was from a shelter and they named her that. I was going to change it but I noticed that she already responded to the name so I've never changed it.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D
I randomly chanced upon this website multiple times when researching chicken care, so I've known about this website for some time. However, what finally made me join is that one of my chickens (Henny) has been acting really strange and under the weather so I've come to join and ask for advice on how to take care of her.

Hello and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us.

This is a useful link of BYC guides to take a look at announcements-feedback-issues-guides.3 I’d suggest including your location using the guide in the link. You can use this link to contact members in your area - Find your State's thread.

Good luck with getting help from the ER folks :fl

Best wishes

Pork Pie

:yesss: :welcome :yesss:
Miss Piggy Sue says, “Welcome to our eggcelent flock here at BYC!”

9F9BF01E-3B67-42C1-8605-B07B4448E1AD.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom