New member needs help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chickencath, Dec 3, 2019.

1. Chickencath

Chickencath Hatching

Dec 3, 2019
    Hello fellow chicken lovers! I haven't had a flick for 40 years and have so much to learn!
    Thanks for helping me take best care if my girls.
    Chloe was shy when we brought her home 2 wks ago, then we thought she was going broody, quiet time in the nest etc. But today she looks sick. When I pick her up she vomits, foul smelling, labored breathing, scant liquid stool & lethargy. Crop feels soft and a little large. Won't eat or drink. What can I do for her?

fldiver97 and SoftSilkie like this.
  2. BarnhartChickens98

BarnhartChickens98 Crowing

Oct 28, 2018
    Manhiem, Pennnsylvania
    Welcome to BYC! this would be best posted in the emergencies section but in my opinion she has sour crop.

fldiver97 and BullChick like this.
  3. BullChick

BullChick Enslaved by a Duckling

Apr 17, 2012
    Coffee shop
    Welcome, I’m glad you’ve joined! I agree with sour crop.

fldiver97 likes this.
  4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. Sounds like sour crop. Whenever you pick up a chicken and accidentally squeeze their full crop or lean them forward, they my regurgitate crop contents. From the bad odor, it does seem to be sour crop. Many use yeast infection cream (monistat) or give 1/3 of a suppository orally twice a day. Other mediciations used for sour crop are Medistatin (Nystatin) powder given orally in food. It is available online. Coconut oil is also good. Sour crop can be hard to treat or cure, and can be a sign of a long-standing impacted crop previously, or pressure on abdominal organs from a reproductive infection causing a crop slowdown. With a crop disorder, make sure they have granite grit available and do not feed any whole grains. Here are 2 good articles about crop disorders:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ntion-and-treatments-of-crop-disorders.67194/

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
    CatWhisperer, fldiver97 and coach723 like this.
  5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    :welcome :frow I agree with the other posts. You have been given good advice and I can't add to it. Good luck...

fldiver97 likes this.
  6. fldiver97

fldiver97 Enabler

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    My Coop
    Welcome :welcome Eggcessive has given you excellent advice - hopefully you can get your chicken better soon!

7. TheChiggens

TheChiggens The Cluckmazing Factor

Jul 7, 2019
    Maine
    My Coop
    I'm sorry to hear about the ailments. :hit
    photofunny.net_ (3).jpg

fldiver97 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: