New member - what breed is this guy?

Tony Al

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 24, 2014
I bought young chicks from a local feed & seed store a little before Easter this year. The bin they were in was labeled Rhode Island Reds - supposed to have been all hens. However, turned out to be a Rooster - not unhappy about that. But what breed is he? (Not sure the hens are RIR either).

I bought young chicks from a local feed & seed store a little before Easter this year. The bin they were in was labeled Rhode Island Reds - supposed to have been all hens. However, turned out to be a Rooster - not unhappy about that. But what breed is he? (Not sure the hens are RIR either).

Were they labeled specifically as RIR - or as "Red pullets" -- I ask because many feed stores have gone to using the latter for bins full of various breeds of red birds (including Red Sex Links) .....Tractor Supply specifically......and folks buy them thinking they mean RIR and are surprised when they get RSL, RIR, PR, etc.

Won't swear to it now cuz I don't remember the actual labeling. I just remember that I thought I was buying Rhode Island Reds. I'm not unhappy - I didn't really now one breed from another. I just wanted to have some chickens for eggs and meat. I'm getting plenty of eggs - haven't had any meat and may not. I'm looking for one to start sitting eggs just to grow the flock. I love watching them.

The hen in this picture was purchased separately. I think she is a game x, like you say. I've gotten a couple of bantams recently also.

Were they labeled specifically as RIR - or as "Red pullets" -- I ask because many feed stores have gone to using the latter for bins full of various breeds of red birds (including Red Sex Links) .....Tractor Supply specifically......and folks buy them thinking they mean RIR and are surprised when they get RSL, RIR, PR, etc.
This...the bins are often "red" birds. Then again, it could well have been labelled Rhode Island Reds and just got the wrong batch of chicks, that happens all the time at feed stores like TSC. Agree he's a red sex link rooster. Breeding him to your variety of red hens will give offspring that are red and white, mostly, not sex linked, but the pullets should still be wonderful layers and the males large enough to eat.

Ahhh. I didn't give a description - not experienced at posting here & thought the picture would show, but it doesn't really. Another person thought he is a Gold Sex Link. You say definitely a Red Sex Link. This guy is white, with brown across the wings and some in the back. He has a definite gold coloring, especially the neck and upper back and chest. He's meaner than a snake too. I appreciate the help.

Ahhh. I didn't give a description - not experienced at posting here & thought the picture would show, but it doesn't really. Another person thought he is a Gold Sex Link. You say definitely a Red Sex Link. This guy is white, with brown across the wings and some in the back. He has a definite gold coloring, especially the neck and upper back and chest. He's meaner than a snake too. I appreciate the help.

Red Sex Link/Gold Sex Link is actually the same thing. It is a "sex linked" cross breed that uses a red male over a silver female and results in chicks that hatch with males being white and females being red - maturing with white males with red/gold markings and brown/red females with white markings. They are also often sold as Golden Comets, Red Stars, Cinnamon Queens and various other names (including proprietary names such as ISA Brown, Lohman Brown, etc which are specific to certain hatcheries)

Back
Top Bottom