kylemsenger

Chirping
Sep 7, 2018
Northeast Ohio
Hey, Everyone!
I'm Kyle!
I wanted to post and say that I am new to raising chickens in Cleveland, OH and like everything else in life, Google has been my best friend in answering questions and learning to set up my coop and run.
Backyardchickens.com forum has almost always been the number one search result no matter what question I have had ranging from size requirements, materials, to enrichments/toys and winterizing! At one point i even googled "are zip ties predator proof?" and there were the forums with an instant answer

I have 3 easter eggers hatching on 09.10.18 (just days away!) the brooder is set and ready to go and I have built a very secure 8x8x7ft run for my girls once they are ready for outside (COVERED IN HARDWARE CLOTH AND SKIRTED 2FT OUT WITH HARDWARE CLOTH) and already started installing as many levels of perches as possible.

My biggest concern right now is my coop. To save time and money I purchased a coop on Amazon with the intent it would be temporary. It's even smaller than I had imagined and I am concerned about it during the winter, the perches are only about 3 inches of the bottom and the total roosting space (excluding the nesting boxes) is about 30w x 30h and not much taller i am concerned about ventilation (there only seems to be a small ridge vent on the roof) but have time to figure it out and will be spending a lot of time in the forums. Also on the list to figure out for winter is enclosing the run...the top is hardware cloth and I'm not sure tarping it would support the weight of northern Ohio snow? as well as the best and least expensive solution to prevent water from freezing in a nipple waterer.
Heres to a new hobby and lots of research! lol

SUPER AWESOME INTRO.gif
Hey, Everyone!
I'm Kyle!
I wanted to post and say that I am new to raising chickens in Cleveland, OH and like everything else in life, Google has been my best friend in answering questions and learning to set up my coop and run.
Backyardchickens.com forum has almost always been the number one search result no matter what question I have had ranging from size requirements, materials, to enrichments/toys and winterizing! At one point i even googled "are zip ties predator proof?" and there were the forums with an instant answer

I have 3 easter eggers hatching on 09.10.18 (just days away!) the brooder is set and ready to go and I have built a very secure 8x8x7ft run for my girls once they are ready for outside (COVERED IN HARDWARE CLOTH AND SKIRTED 2FT OUT WITH HARDWARE CLOTH) and already started installing as many levels of perches as possible.

My biggest concern right now is my coop. To save time and money I purchased a coop on Amazon with the intent it would be temporary. It's even smaller than I had imagined and I am concerned about it during the winter, the perches are only about 3 inches of the bottom and the total roosting space (excluding the nesting boxes) is about 30w x 30h and not much taller i am concerned about ventilation (there only seems to be a small ridge vent on the roof) but have time to figure it out and will be spending a lot of time in the forums. Also on the list to figure out for winter is enclosing the run...the top is hardware cloth and I'm not sure tarping it would support the weight of northern Ohio snow? as well as the best and least expensive solution to prevent water from freezing in a nipple waterer.
Heres to a new hobby and lots of research! lol
FARMER-CONNIE-WELCOME-200X283.gif

Welcome to Backyard Chickens! We are glad you joined the flock!:frow BYC is a helpful site providing all the information you need to know about poultry! I had a bought a small coop for my first chickens when I purchased them. It was more of a temporary coop so we ended up building out own. Hope you enjoy it here as much as we all do!

:welcome So glad you joined! I also ended up here by doing google searches!! You're very brave to start off hatching your own chicks. I'm too "chicken" to do that!

And I started with a prefab coop too, which didn't last long and I had to finally build my own. So I understand all your coop challenges. You will definitely have to add more ventilation by cutting out some sections and replacing with hardware cloth or draft-free vents. Not too difficult.
Do you have a covered patio? Maybe your coop could be placed there temporarily to be protected from the snow... or maybe place a sheet of plywood over the run section? Yeah, those little coops are just not very practical in reality. By the time you end up fixing, protecting and modifying it enough, seems like you could have built an entire new one with better results!

Oh well, I wish you luck in your new chicken adventure!! :jumpy:jumpy

Back
Top Bottom