New Mexico

There's a thread "Just curious who else is living super frugal" full of folks striving to be self-sufficient. They've got some really good tips and hints on there.

I couldn't agree more. Why wouldn't you want to make sure your children are taken care of, no matter what happens. (My son is one of the main reasons we started all this. haha) and the way I see it you can never be too prepared. :) plus its kind of fun to make, grow, or prepare things your self. It makes you feel good to know where things came from. :)

Great!!! :D I found a verse in the Bible, Ezekiel 38:6, that says to "Be prepared" - I wish more people would get prepared for hardship by becoming self sufficient, because I don't want to see anyone do without, especially people with children, but so many have their heads buried in the sand- so sad.

I'm the same way. when i moved back to NM it was really hard to get a job i couldn't support like i was used to. I figured this way was better at least with a homestead i would have food and a way to live during tough times. i have also had friends and family with cancer that i believe is directly tied to all the crap in our food these days. Growing your own food and learning how to live off the land is soooo important.

Okay, I'm in Albuquerque. I have a beautiful white and rust rooster (Aloha breed?). He's huge, very sweet, will eat out of your hands, and is extremely protective of his flock. He is also a very enthusiastic crower. My neighbors are complaining. He's also too big for some of my hens. I would like to place him with someone in more of a country setting. He is really a great protector if you live in the country and your hens face more dangers (coyotes, hawks, cats, etc.) than mine do in the city. he keeps the neighborhood cats, my big dogs, and hawks at bay here, but I really need him to go somewhere with bigger, and probably more hens than I have. I have some promising pullets if you want to start a new family. They're about 3 months old and now bigger than my smallest hen. I don't want to break up my older hens because they're very bonded. This rooster is very good with the babies. Once the mother hen was finished with this group of 8, he took over and has taken very good care of them. I am willing to drive a reasonable distance. The pullets are black and white (I'm new to this, barred-rock?). I won't be on here till next week, but please post if you're interested... Thanks.

How is Tijeras for homesteading? I need to keep my job but would love to get out of the city and on more land than I have now? Are you getting any rain up there?

I'm the same way. when i moved back to NM it was really hard to get a job i couldn't support like i was used to. I figured this way was better at least with a homestead i would have food and a way to live during tough times. i have also had friends and family with cancer that i believe is directly tied to all the crap in our food these days. Growing your own food and learning how to live off the land is soooo important.
cancer is another reason for me too.
hugs.gif

How is Tijeras for homesteading? I need to keep my job but would love to get out of the city and on more land than I have now? Are you getting any rain up there?
Tijeras is good but not much rain this year. Edgewood is the closest farming type town. Tijeras is more of mountain living but you can find some really good spots between tijeras and Edgewood, and rent and what not is same price as in town if not cheaper.

I couldn't agree more. Why wouldn't you want to make sure your children are taken care of, no matter what happens. (My son is one of the main reasons we started all this. haha) and the way I see it you can never be too prepared. :) plus its kind of fun to make, grow, or prepare things your self. It makes you feel good to know where things came from. :)
I'm with ya on the fun to make, and knowing where your food, etc, comes from :) I love it!

Back
Top Bottom