New Mexico

@Sassy13 if you're looking for a good local store to buy quality chicks I'd look into ordering through Quality Baits & Pond Fish. The owner there is willing to do small orders (something you can't do at large hatcheries) as long as he's able to slip them in with one of his regular shipments from a hatchery he speaks very highly of but won't tell anyone the name of. Might be too late to order this season (most feed stores have quit ordering chicks by now) but for next season hit him up.
I will call them and see if they have any.....So far I have called Miller's Feed and Horsemen's, that are close to we where we live and they all said they will have some in June.

Hi there, Sassy13!

Once the Covid stuff recedes a bit, the poultry swaps will resume (although I think the one out in Edgewood does pop-ups). There are two that I know of: Edgewood and Belen, and then the occasional one at Millers Feed. If you're on FB, there's a New Mexico Poultry Swap page that lists all the birds, goats, pigs, etc., that folks have for sale.

I hatch out in Corrales. My Easter hatch sold out, but I have 28 eggs of Black Copper Marans and Olive Eggers scheduled for 5/24.

Hatchery birds are, well, hatchery birds. The gene pool there is pretty inbred, so a higher risk of deformities. I've heard both good and bad about Privett, who happens to supply most of the local feed stores with their chicks.

There's lots of good coop ideas (in fact, hundreds of examples) on one of the BYC pages that deals with coops. It's divided into Small, Medium and Large sizes...most all are homemade.

Welcome to the world of chicken raising! You'll learn about chicken TV and chicken math. BYC is full of enablers!
Hahahaha yes there is a lot to learn! Thank you. Do you sell chicks? We are interested in olive eggers. However, we dont have a brooder yet.

Hahahaha yes there is a lot to learn! Thank you. Do you sell chicks? We are interested in olive eggers. However, we dont have a brooder yet.
Well if you check Craigslist there are a few people selling fertilized eggs that are also willing to incubate eggs in their personal incubator for a fee. Or look to get a silkie or other broody hen to do the incubating for you. Also if you want to breed your own olive eggers you can accomplish that by crossing a blue/green egg layer(such as an Americana or cream Legbar) with a brown egg layer (such as a black copper maran). The hue of the cross will depend on the egg color characteristics of the parents' breeds.

I will call them and see if they have any.....So far I have called Miller's Feed and Horsemen's, that are close to we where we live and they all said they will have some in June.
Earlier this year they were selling the fabled Ayam Cemani (the all black chicken), so if you're looking for rarer breeds they're definitely the feed store to call up.

If no one else has any bantam roos I will probably take one of them, do you know their lineage like if they are docile compared to other CL chickens and do you want anything for them I can swap a buckeye cockerel or I have some hens, do you think I could swap hens if you have and CL pullets. I am willing to give up a pair of GLW pullets for a pair of CL, or I have a Buff Orpington pullet and if you really want it I will swap with an australorp, so I will swap 2 GLW, 1 BO, 1 Australorp pullets, and 1 Buckeye rooster. I will also give you hatching eggs or offspring if you want. if I get pullets they will be breed mainly with my Jersey Giant roo but I can selectivly breed them to be purebred if you like, I am just looking for a rooster to be with my bantam hens so they don't get overwhelmed by the Jersey Giant. If you want pics I will give you pics. If you are interested further I will give you a list of all the breeds I have and I will give you their offspring as well

Back
Top Bottom