New Mexico

Normally I just stick the frozen bird in the crock pot, add water, veggies and seasonings, cook it all day, then take it off the bones and add dumplings (that's the short version but you get the idea). And it's been years. So I don't have a recipe. Help a gal out? Thanks in advance! (I can only get canned chopped chilis here, sad to say. Not even frozen Hatch chilis! But it will have to do.)
I think just do what you do with the crock pot method, after de-boning, do the chicken dumplings - or you can use noodles, or tear up flour tortillas in bite size pcs, or use pasole - and add a can or 3 of green chilis. I couldn't live without my green chilis!

I think just do what you do with the crock pot method, after de-boning, do the chicken dumplings - or you can use noodles, or tear up flour tortillas in bite size pcs, or use pasole - and add a can or 3 of green chilis. I couldn't live without my green chilis!
Thanks, Wild Chick! I got a can of green enchilada sauce and used that as the base along with chicken broth (or stock, I forget), and added a can of chopped green chilis. It turned out pretty good. Except I used eggless noodles cuz that's what I had, and ick, never again, lol! Other than that it was pretty good!

Hi all! Glad to find you!
I'm in California but considering a move to New Mexico (perhaps Santa Fe County) in 2022.
Question I have is how are you building your coops to weather the extremes of heat and cold? Would appreciate your coop thoughts/photos as when I move to NM, I hope to bring my small hobby farm of specialty chickens with me...
Thanks!!

Hi all! Glad to find you!
I'm in California but considering a move to New Mexico (perhaps Santa Fe County) in 2022.
Question I have is how are you building your coops to weather the extremes of heat and cold? Would appreciate your coop thoughts/photos as when I move to NM, I hope to bring my small hobby farm of specialty chickens with me...
Thanks!!
In the summer make sure you have lots of ventilation and cool water! I put frozen water bottles and give them cold watermelon too. In the winter they don't seem to be overly bothered, although I did spoil them with a heat pad thing! :D

NapsWithChickens --

Make sure there's lots of ventilation/shade for summers and shelter w/heated waterer for the winter. But, above all, build to withstand your largest predator. (We have coyotes, hawks, owls and occasional errant dogs that qualify.)

Pics of my coop below, which can be found in the coops gallery under Challenge Coop Project. Coop proper is 4x8 and extended covered run so birds have access to outside even in inclement weather. I've got 9 birds (1 roo + 8 hens), although I feel 8 would be the ideal number for the interior roosts.

coop1.JPG

December 2nd coop.jpg

Back
Top Bottom