New Mexico

Hi All - I'm in the Jemez Springs area. My 9 chicks are almost 6 weeks old. The temp this morning (6:45) was 38, but warms up fast. At 8pm it is in the mid to low 70s. When can they go outside with out a heat lamp? We don't have power to the coop which is 6x6x8. Oh the chicks are 7 Rhode Islands, 1 Java Mottled, 1 Barred Rock.

Hi All - I'm in the Jemez Springs area. My 9 chicks are almost 6 weeks old. The temp this morning (6:45) was 38, but warms up fast. At 8pm it is in the mid to low 70s. When can they go outside with out a heat lamp? We don't have power to the coop which is 6x6x8. Oh the chicks are 7 Rhode Islands, 1 Java Mottled, 1 Barred Rock.
Mine stay outside from day one, no matter the temp. We'll put a heat lamp on them for the first 4 weeks, after that, they're on their own.

As long as your coop isn't too drafty, they'll be fine at 4-5 weeks.

BTW Jersey Giants are a heritage bird and would be best bought from a breeder- there is a HUGE difference between hatchery and breeder birds.

Also- if you are considering Leghorns for eggs, another good option is California Whites- they are half White Leghorn (mother) and half California Grey (sire), and lay VERY well. I myself prefer them over Leghorns because IMO they lay better and eat less, as well as have a smaller comb which is a concern here in the winter.
Blaundee do you know where I can order California Whites?? Looked them up and they look like Dalmatian chickens, tooo cute. I don't want to order 25 (which was the smallest number of chicks I could order from several online shops) of them because I can only have 15 in my area at this time, and I am not gonna get rid of the 6 babies I already have. haha

There's a guy on craigslist in the east mountains/tijeras areas with leghorn pullets; I talked to him a week ago and he had 6wk old leghorn pullets for sale. Wish I could give you more info but it was easy to find on craigslist and it sounded like he had quite a few chickens for sale...

There's a guy on craigslist in the east mountains/tijeras areas with leghorn pullets; I talked to him a week ago and he had 6wk old leghorn pullets for sale. Wish I could give you more info but it was easy to find on craigslist and it sounded like he had quite a few chickens for sale...
what breeds do you keep peter

thanks peter. I will have to check him out today.
thumbsup.gif

Have any of you heard of Wilber's Farm in Belen? They say you have to place an online order before you can go to their farm,(but they will ship or you can pick them up at their farm) curious if anyone has ordered from them.

One of my friends is a school teacher. She went and got trader joes eggs to hatch in her classroom. I wondered how that works at trader joes. And what is it completely random eggs. And where do they come from. Does each trader joes get eggs from local hatchery's or do they get them out of state and ship the eggs to all the stores. How does that work. 

Yes that's exactly what i was thinking. except i love calling them hillbilly MREs , that's so funny. 

Ive really like for a hatchery privetts stock. I'm not sure how your car does on gas but 37 bucks for my pet chicken might be pretty close to the same cost as driving to portales. Ive wanted to go down there myself to see the breeding pens. Ive got some really nice birds from them and allot of obvious hatchery stock. makes me wonder what the breeding pens actually look like in person down in portales. I'm raising some Crevecoeur and White crested black polish i got from them right now.  

I will be curious to hear your report o. The breeding pens on Portales. I have been told its pretty bad, as they all are, but I do not have fiest hand knowledge. And I doubt you will see their big areas anyway.

I've talked with the guy from Wilber's on the phone. Seems like a nice guy who really cares about his chickens...

Steen, I've only got 8 pullets, my first chickens... 1 leghorn, 2 barred rocks, 2 rhode reds, and 3 wyandottes (1 blue, 2 gold)... They're all about 5 months old now. No eggs yet but their combs are really starting to grow.

Back
Top Bottom