New Mexico

Pics
Quote:
Sorry I missed this, but I just got a book on hatching chicks and it says if you are doing it naturally and the outside humidity is really low (like I guess 0%), you can mist the eggs every day starting on the 15th day. I don't have a lot of experience, but I had a hatch in early July (before all the rain) and I misted those. Pretty good hatch. Then I had one egg due out on Aug. 5 and it was raining the whole week every day, so I didn't mist. That one hatched out fine too. Just because it's 25-35% outside (and did you actually check your area?.... because mine was a little higher than that this past week), doesn't mean it's that low under then hen. It probably didn't get much higher than 55% or so during the hatch, but it seems to be ok out here, they just hatch a day early. I'm also starting to wonder if 20 days is more "normal" out here than 21. High altitude and all. All my eggs hatched out at day 20 this year....

burquechick,

It's just because you are in Albuquerque that the eggs hatched in 20 days. In most of the restof the State, it would take the "normal" 21 days. EVERYTHING happens FASTER in the "Duke City" !!! However, IF you were "over-here" at SLOW OLD Gallup, it could take 24 or 25 days...nothing gets done on-time here.

In Portales, where Privett Hatchery is located, I suspect the "normal" 21 days is "normal".

Clocks, Locations, Time Zones, Daylight Savings, and Satellite "Lag-time" all combine to "throw-things OFF" around here in the Frontier !!! (So...Don't count your days BEFORE they hatch....)

wink.png

Junkmanme
old.gif

Quote:
Welcome scruffychicken, You're in my area.

Welcome Scruffychicken
smile.png
I'm in Aztec also (more Flora Vista but with Aztec mail). Sorry I'm late in welcoming you! We had a lack of internet axcess for a while
sad.png

most of my egges hatched at day 20 here in California, I bought a house in Bosque , 7 miles from Belen Hope to get there some day. Dont know how I would move my chickens. have Black Copper Marans, cuckoos and easter egger. you all sound so nice

Quote:
The judge was very friendly and helpful answering questions. I do wish they kept an attendent in the building. I had to speak with a child harassing the birds.

Quote:
welcome-byc.gif
Beautiful area you talking about, lots of migratory birds. Just a warning, NM is known as the "land of entrapment" as well as the "land of enchantment". Once you're here it's hard to leave.
smile.png

Quote:
The judge was very friendly and helpful answering questions. I do wish they kept an attendent in the building. I had to speak with a child harassing the birds.

I know how the kid thing can go... Granted not all kids are bad but every now and then you get the ones that when out in public they have no control so to speak. My youngest two (ages 9 and 5) have decided they can try that with me... Good kids but in public no control ~sigh~ Thank God that with our CWCD (and 2 hens comming our way soon YAY! He won't be a lonly roo any more!!) they are learning you can't be mean to the chickens or they get meaner.

Sueg4332 Welcome to BYC!!

Back
Top Bottom