new mixed box of chickens - need help with breed & genders

mamahen82

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 29, 2010
HI there - we are new to backyard chickens and just picked up a box (labeled non-descriptively 'chickens') of 5 birds at the auction. None are old enough to be laying/crowing yet but I suspect there are a few roosters in the mix, hopefully not all.

I would so appreciate feedback on the genders and breed by any of you experienced chicken keepers, thanks in advance.

So here are birds #1 and #2 - I suspect hen on the left and cockerel on the right? (ignore the white & black one)What do you think? Also, what breed are these guys?
66642_chickens2.jpg

Here is bird #1 above (the one I hope is a hen) from the side.
66642_chickens5.jpg

Bird #3 - Even as a newbie I'm pretty sure this is a 'roo - big tail feathers, chubby legs with very obvious spurs
66642_chickens1.jpg

Bird #4 - so hoping this little one is a hen...but maybe too early to tell?
66642_chickens3.jpg

Bird #5 - I'm thinking another rooster
66642_chickens4.jpg

Thanks again, any insight is appreciated, otherwise we'll just have to wait a few months for either eggs or the crowing to start!

I agree that #2 and # 5 are roosters - #2 appears to be a black sex-link with very interesting coloration or a different combination of breeds than the usual black sex-link.

So far, the rest look like pullets. The black one looks like an Australorp, and I do not see any saddle or hackle feathers - although the comb is redder, is it possible that one is a little older?

Other than the Australorp, it looks like you've got some beautiful barnyard mixes. The white/gray one may be an easter egger - are the legs greenish?

Maybe other folks with more breed knowledge will contribute their thoughts.

smile.png
Melissa

thanks alot. So you think that the black one might not be a rooster? Although she/he is fairly anti-social which is too bad for my kids, I would love to keep her if I'll get some eggs. what about the spur bumps on her legs? They aren't full-on spurs but just two little things sticking out the backs of her legs....

it is definitely possible she is older than the others...I have no absolutely no background on the birds. Thanks for the reply, I look forward to more opinions.

-M

The only roo I see is #2. Mayb- not sure on #5. The first pair almost look like golden cuckoo marans, but I haven't seen too many of them to be sure.
Betting the black one is a australorp pullet, and 4 & 5 are mixes.

Quote:
Hens can have spurs, and almost all chicks will have little spur bumps. In my (limited) experience, the cockerel's spurs start to grow about the same time the pullets start laying.

If the black one is an Australorp, and a female, she will be a good egg layer. Also sometimes they get more friendly after they start laying eggs. If it is a female, from the look of her comb and waddles, she will start laying pretty soon (next few weeks). If you start to see shiny pointy feathers on the back just before the tail and at the base of the neck, it's a boy!

Good luck!

melissa

thanks everyone, I'm finding it so interesting to hear your take on the birds...this is so new to me and frankly I'm a little scared that I'm enjoying them all so much!

Are the Australorps a smaller breed then, or is this possibly a bantam? Because she is about half the size of the silver-laced wyandotte/brahma bird I have who is only about 6 or 7 months old (not pictured anywhere).

Last edited:
also - #2 and #5 stand up tall quite aggressively while facing eachother and flap their wings, get all ruffled, etc.....do hens ever do this sort of thing to one other or only roosters?

Hens do that too, but roos do it more. I would expect it from the boys but was surprised by my pullets doing it, too. They are four months old I think. If those top ones start laying really dark brown eggs, they are marans. They are pretty. I like the light colored ones. You did good!
K

Back
Top Bottom