1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New! Need help with one of my girls

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by chickchickclan, Apr 18, 2017.

1. chickchickclan

chickchickclan New Egg

Apr 18, 2017
    Hello from Austin Texas!
    My hen has been sitting in the coop for two days now it won't move her legs are kind of in a different awkward position spread out she doesn't seem sedated and will move her wings around but hasn't moved from its position without me helping and is also having liquidy green poop. Help what should I do??
    ( this was typed be a voice message sorry for typos)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  2. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under chickchickclan [​IMG] Welcome!

Sorry, I am not highly experienced at what ails chickens but if she is not broody, which it does not sound like she is, I am leaning towards a possible egg laying issue but it could be a number of things.

I recommend posting some pictures on the ER Forum; the folks there sure do know there stuff and should be able to help out. It would also help them out if you can provide as many symptoms as possible, including when she last laid https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

This is the list of information which would be helpful:

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
    2) What is the behavior, exactly.
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
    4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
    5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
    6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
    7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
    8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
    9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
    10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
    11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    12) Describe the housing/bedding in use

Good luck!

3 people like this.
  3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, chickchickclan, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our community! Teila gave you some great advice!! Also, if you'd like to chat with some fellow Texas poultry folks, find your state thread in this link: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread
    Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC! [​IMG]

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice and links already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
    CT

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by