New neighbors dog killed 3 of our flock

While its perfectly within your rights to file a formal complaint since your neighbor has offered to pay for the damage i wouldnt. I would go over to their house and explain to them that while you will take the money and appreciate the gesture that it cant happpen again because it cant replace the time and love you put into your pets and it doesnt really solve the problem. If you can, let them know your recording the convo on your phone or something as documentation that they have been warned incase it happens again because if it does you will file a complaint or if you feel threatened will shoot the dog. But dont record them without permission as that is illegal. If they say no to the recording try having them sign something. If they wont do either i recommend investing in a camera system or game cams around your property so if it does happen again you have proof the dog is running around and that it killed your pets so when you call animal control you have solid proof. Each time the dog runs free whether it comes it kills your pets or not and is on your property and yoy show it to animal control they will get cited amd have to pay a fine and if it still doesnt change after so many times they will remove the dog. But try a peaceful resolution first and let them know you dont want a bad relationship with them but you will do what is necessary to protect both your pets and family.
If a dog is on your property, mauling your animals, there's no way to really handle it nicely. If it happens a second time, there's no peaceful resolution, the dog needs to be put down, and if you catch it in the act, all you have to do it is shoot it, then take a picture of the body on your property for proof. The animal just has to be on your property, and a threat. Since there's proof of a previous attack, she's 100% justified if the dog steps on her property again, to stop it with any force necessary.

In Texas, killing livestock is almost worse than killing a person. Fines would be the least of the person's worry. You can get jail time if you knowingly allow a livestock killing dog to be free to kill your neighbors animals.

I was traveling from Buffalo to Fl via KY. I stopped to see a horse I sold in Columbus. My dogs are horse show dogs and travel with me. I asked if they could get out...twice. And was told yes. Well my Plott hound doesn't listen the best and went roaming while we played with the horse. Unknown to me or the girl boarding at the farm...the one house has chickens and would let them free range on Saturdays. It was saturday. Novel killed like five chickens before I realized what was going on. It was super traumatizing. Worst thing was knocking on the people's door to apologize and offer the pay for them. Then as I'm cleaning up bodies, feathers and eggs the mom and kids drove home
1f623.png
. Worst day ever. I don't think my dog had ever seen chickens but for the past few weeks the geese had been landing in the field next to work. He had a blast chasing them. I guess he tried to chase them and they didn't fly like the geese.

The next summer I came home and my dads neighbor got two new chickens and didn't clip their wings. They flew out of the run. They did not not make it. He got them.

Present day. We now have chickens. Few days after losing one to a fox my dad was on the phone and had the coop door open. My dog got a hen. shockingly he let the chicken go while still alive...she didn't end up surviving. I can't really blame the dog in that instance. My dad knows that my dog will kill a chicken in a heart beat.
I have to be careful. He is bred to hunt. He's great at hunting ground hogs and moles. Fairs pretty well with raccoons (I prefer he doesn't tangle with them). Last year I went to work at a show jumper farm with a pig. Instinct is hard to break. I had to have a discussion with him about chasing the pig. He is a smart dog. He understood that his *** got whooped for it and he and he mostly ignored the fact that Bennie existed.

I don't think you can really blame the dog. You have to blame the owners for not doing anything after they realize there is a problem. The minute i see a chicken is out of the chicken yard, the dog goes in the house. Last night when I moved new chickens to the coop, he went in the house. Killing chickens is not something I can break. I have to be smart about preventing a situation where it happens

While its perfectly within your rights to file a formal complaint since your neighbor has offered to pay for the damage i wouldnt. I would go over to their house and explain to them that while you will take the money and appreciate the gesture that it cant happpen again because it cant replace the time and love you put into your pets and it doesnt really solve the problem. If you can, let them know your recording the convo on your phone or something as documentation that they have been warned incase it happens again because if it does you will file a complaint or if you feel threatened will shoot the dog. But dont record them without permission as that is illegal. If they say no to the recording try having them sign something. If they wont do either i recommend investing in a camera system or game cams around your property so if it does happen again you have proof the dog is running around and that it killed your pets so when you call animal control you have solid proof. Each time the dog runs free whether it comes it kills your pets or not and is on your property and yoy show it to animal control they will get cited amd have to pay a fine and if it still doesnt change after so many times they will remove the dog. But try a peaceful resolution first and let them know you dont want a bad relationship with them but you will do what is necessary to protect both your pets and family.
I couldn't disagree more, about the wait and see part! A dog that has killed will kill again! I love dogs, have 3 that I adopted. Document it NOW! Do not give the dog another chance to kill your family members (pets is what I mean). I do agree about waiting until you are calm enough.

When a criminal burglarizes, rapes, kills... why does our justice system slap them on the wrist and wait until they do it again? Meanwhile, if the burglar breaks their leg or gets hurt while inside your property they can sue you and you have to pay their medical bills! Stop the foolishness with all the liberal BS! When they do FINALLY go to jail, they get better food, vision, medical, dental, and mental health care than most of my family members. That's justice?! just saying.
hu.gif

File a complaint and give your neighbor fair warning (not a threat) that you WILL DO WHATEVER IT TAKES TO DEFEND YOUR FAMILY AND LIVESTOCK/PETS! Also, you are not required to give them any warning at all. They should replace the cost of the fully raised animals, not just your purchase price. I am angry for you!
somad.gif

Yes. talk to them in a calm demeanor. If they can't provide containment for their animal, they should not have bought the property! My chickens free range. If it's outside my property line and the neighbors dog gets it, my problem, inside my line, their problem.

I would actually try to make a report to their homeowners insurance! Many will not insure aggressive or violent animals. There are and should be consequences for peoples actions or negligence. Whether or not your animals are loose on your property, they KNOW their dog is a killer and turned it loose to do as it pleases! It is a danger to the public. And I live in the country, where maybe I don't have to worry about them getting ran over.... but people need to respect their neighbors AND the LAW! On top of that I would make a report to the sheriffs' office. What if others have had their animals attacked as well?! You could send a certified letter asking for your replacement cost and requesting they make immediate containment for their animal who was illegally "at large" and trespassing. Keep a copy of your letter and your certified delivery ticket as your proof. Don't make any threats. Keep it simple and concise and make sure to include that you saw the PREDATOR with your own eyes.

Good fences do NOT make good neighbors, but it helps. Kill them (your neighbors) with kindness, if you can.

Report, report, report. But only if no one's life is at stake. Otherwise, resort,resort, resort... to whatever means needed to protect your property, family, and lively hood.

Gosh, can go on and on.... but I don't mean to add drama to an already pretty bad situation. I hope you and your new neighbors will come to terms that are agreeable. An apology DOES NOT cut it!

One last thing. The dog is doing what comes natural. It is the owners' responsibility to make this right which includes ensuring their animal doesn't leave their property. I blame the owner, not the dog.

Sorry again! Hope y'all recover from this tragic incident. It's always the favorites that seem to be attacked or killed first.

Good luck!

Sadly in some areas, and I am not recommending this, but it is actually legal to track down the offending predator and dispense them immediately.

My dogs free range with my chickens (with training), but hunt everything else on the property. They have to discern the difference between what is moving in the bushes before they go after it. I do realize some dogs will never be ok with prey animals around.

Owners must know their dogs and adjust accordingly.

@gonehencrazy I believe you that that was a horrible day!

Sadly in some areas, and I am not recommending this, but it is actually legal to track down the offending predator and dispense them immediately.

My dogs free range with my chickens (with training), but hunt everything else on the property. They have to discern the difference between what is moving in the bushes before they go after it. I do realize some dogs will never be ok with prey animals around.

Owners must know their dogs and adjust accordingly.

@gonehencrazy I believe you that that was a horrible day!
Exactly. MY boston terrier loves to chase stuff - but he won't kill my cats, or my chickens. Infact, when he got into the chicken pen with me, he panicked, turned around and fled. LOL The roosters scared him.
But ****** if he doesn't kill wild birds, rats and mice and snakes.

We shot our dogs with a pellet gun (it was non lethal shot, and mostly just pings them in the butt and scares them) in the *** so they wouldn't know it was "us" everytime they'd dig at the fences near the chicken coop, to teach them not too. I also make them sit and feed them treats near the chickens, so they associate sitting, rather than chasing and if the even look at the chickens when i'm out there with them, I correct them too.

It didn't take long for our dogs to learn to leave them alone - if a chicken gets out and they kill it.... there's not much I can do if the chickens decide to leave their designated free-range area where it's safe. So far, the chickens have realized "this is our area, and that's the dog, predator" area... and haven't left the fenced yard.

I'm hoping if one ever got out, the dogs wouldn't do anything to it, but I can't 100% promise they wouldn't... but since not a single one of my dogs go out of their way to *get* them on purpose... they are fine. For now. I, however, wouldn't keep a dog that would intentionally kill "family" animals. That would include my barn cats.

I have read a lot of the posts on here about neighborhood dogs killing flocks / livestock. We have a new neighbor - a couple purchased the 10 acres next to us and plans to build there. They are not here often an this point, maybe once a week. They bring their hunting dog who is very high strung and wanders all over the neighborhood. They do not watch the dog. For instance the husband is working with heavy machinery with ear plugs in his ears listing to something so there is no way he knows what the dog is up to (not sure where the wife goes when she comes- I think she sits in their truck with AC on). My point is they do not watch this dog. We let them know that we have birds and pets (chickens and ducks - a cat and dogs) that might be free ranging. Yesterday there dog went in our coop (door was open) and killed two hens and my daughters pet Rouen duck she also wounded two more ducks. My husband by chance was outside and was able to stop the attack although it took great effort including getting physical with the dog as she would not respond to his voice commands or his presence.

It has taken sufficient effort to keep our chickens and ducks healthy and provide proper housing etc and I have become attached to them as "pets". So I am REALLY upset about this. The neighbor was very apologetic and while I appreciate that the fact that he was making NO effort to control his dog upsets me - he also claimed he didn't know that the animals would be free ranging "for certain" (like that matters).

MY QUESTION: I have read our towns animal regulations and I think I can make a complaint that might be taken very seriously - however everyone in our neighborhood has dogs that roam to some degree and I am not sure I should make a formal complaint but I am fairly certain they will not be able to contain this dog. She is nuts. She does not listen well and has run into my house in the past and all over my property w/o stopping to acknowledge my kids or my husband and I. She has a shock color on. Should I make a formal complaint with animal control? I am concerned that it will create issues for all the roaming dogs in the neighborhood - none of which has killed anything on our property (yet).

Thanks
Suz

PS Our birds typically free range during the day and are always in at night. We are keeping the chickens in all day for now but the ducks being messy and loving water are still roaming during the day as we have 10 acres and a pond - and the ducks REALLY mess up the fenced in coop area if left in it. (The coop is large with a separate duck and chicken are inside but the outside fenced in area is smallish and not separated). We are replacing my daughters Rouen duck today with and adult female as she is heartbroken over losing "blackie".

Well if they are going to be starting construction and the guy is out there running heavy equipment why don't you suggest the first thing they do is construct a containment area for dog. Would be a trivial and quick thing to do with the equipment that will be available for construction

What most owners of dogs don't realize is the liability aspect of owning one........especially one that has ever bitten a person or has killed livestock. The one bite rule. That is why Auntie Em was so willing to give up Toto. She didn't want Almira Gulch owning her farm if Toto bite her again.

What the owners of these dogs don't realize is they are liable for the damage these dogs do, actual damages, plus potential for punitive damages. As in keep it up neighbor and I will own your 10 acres. Let that sink in for a moment. You still want to let your dog kill my stuff?

Like above, I would let them know their dog will be shot on sight the moment it crosses the boundary to your property and follow through on that notice.

For the birds that are lost I would recoup losses by way of the cost of the bird + expenses to have raised it to that point.

I was traveling from Buffalo to Fl via KY. I stopped to see a horse I sold in Columbus. My dogs are horse show dogs and travel with me. I asked if they could get out...twice. And was told yes. Well my Plott hound doesn't listen the best and went roaming while we played with the horse. Unknown to me or the girl boarding at the farm...the one house has chickens and would let them free range on Saturdays. It was saturday. Novel killed like five chickens before I realized what was going on. It was super traumatizing. Worst thing was knocking on the people's door to apologize and offer the pay for them. Then as I'm cleaning up bodies, feathers and eggs the mom and kids drove home
1f623.png
. Worst day ever. I don't think my dog had ever seen chickens but for the past few weeks the geese had been landing in the field next to work. He had a blast chasing them. I guess he tried to chase them and they didn't fly like the geese.

The next summer I came home and my dads neighbor got two new chickens and didn't clip their wings. They flew out of the run. They did not not make it. He got them.

Present day. We now have chickens. Few days after losing one to a fox my dad was on the phone and had the coop door open. My dog got a hen. shockingly he let the chicken go while still alive...she didn't end up surviving. I can't really blame the dog in that instance. My dad knows that my dog will kill a chicken in a heart beat.
I have to be careful. He is bred to hunt. He's great at hunting ground hogs and moles. Fairs pretty well with raccoons (I prefer he doesn't tangle with them). Last year I went to work at a show jumper farm with a pig. Instinct is hard to break. I had to have a discussion with him about chasing the pig. He is a smart dog. He understood that his *** got whooped for it and he and he mostly ignored the fact that Bennie existed.

I don't think you can really blame the dog. You have to blame the owners for not doing anything after they realize there is a problem. The minute i see a chicken is out of the chicken yard, the dog goes in the house. Last night when I moved new chickens to the coop, he went in the house. Killing chickens is not something I can break. I have to be smart about preventing a situation where it happens

No, you can't "blame" the dog, but if the owners repeatedly place their dog in a position where it can kill, then the owner is not doing his/her job and so someone else has to. And if that means killing the dog to protect their livestock, then it's very sad for the poor dog, but it's the owners' fault.

Last edited:
I'm not opposed to some of the other tactics described on this thread, but another option may be taking the dog to your local animal control and noting (accurately) that you picked up the dog running loose. You may even be able to do it anonymously. They have to pay a small fine to retrieve usually and the inconvenience may be enough to make them think twice next time. Or the dog, if nice, is rehomed elsewhere if they don't come get it. Possible the dog, again, if not reclaimed and not adoptable, would be euthanized in some shelters but if it were me, I'd take that outcome over more poultry slaughter.

Back
Top Bottom