New Neighbour Learns Hard Lesson

Status
Not open for further replies.
As some of you know...I had a dog kill one of my animals not too long ago. I called the sheriff and got told "as long as it doesn't hurt a human then there's nothing they can do". So I have to wait on this dog to come after me and my 2 yr old before anyone around here will do anything. Animal Control won't touch an animal around here unless it has no owner. I have told this owner that the next time I catch the dog off it's chain I will kill it. I agree with shooting problem dogs if the owners won't take responsibility! Especially when laws are different in different places and won't do anything to help when you try to do things another way.

Quote:
Sounds good to me.
roll.png

Last edited:
OMG! You actually shot the dog!!
hit.gif
I totally understand that you need to protect your chickens, as I'm sure you love them, but you shot the dog!!!??? It wasn't the dogs fault, it was the owner's. the dog was just being a dog. Was it really just a puppy? Maybe you could have asked around and seen if any of your friends wanted a dog and hauled it off that way.

It really irrates me when people get pets and then just let them roam free. So many things could happen to them. This case is just one instance. They also could get run over or lost and starve to death. Many people a cruel for no reason at all. I've heard of people throwing paint on animals, setting them on fire, dropping them off bridges, etc. If you're not going to take care of a pet, why get one?

I TOTTALLY agree w/ the post that said the owners should have been shot for their stupidity.

Quote:
Your thoughts do mean something to anyone who cares about all animals, I am one of them! If my dog got ahold of one of my girls, he would think it is a chew toy. We got him at 6 years old and he is very neurotic, but I certainly wouldn't shoot him!!!
I think taking any loss/guilty dog to a shelter or humane society is a great idea, especially if the police can't be bothered.

Post edited to remove offensive material

Last edited by a moderator:
It was obvious from the owners response that they were going to do nothing to keep the dog from coming over....LCRT did what he felt he needed to do to protect his property. It's not his responsibilty to cart the dog off to a rescue somewhere just because the owners won't take care of the dog. I'm quite certain the dog would have continued to come over and make a nuisance of himself. Yes, it's sad for the dog, but the poor animal is always the one to pay when they're owned by an idiot.

Everyone please review the sticky at the top of this forum regarding predators.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=5808

A person has a right to protect his/her property and family. Laws are different in each state regarding how you can legally do this. Elimination of the predator may be necessary and legal in some areas.

You may not agree with the method, but please do not argue the ethics of the situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom