1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

New Nest Boxes (10 nests)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by plapczynski, May 28, 2008.

1. plapczynski

plapczynski Songster

Feb 3, 2008
    Chillicothe, OH
    I thought I would share these since they turned out OK. Used the bucket article from a recent magazine.

The rest is all framing lumber. The roof is to deter perching.

Ran 1 bucket short, that's why there is a green one. (DW insisted on new ones....)

I have the foam shelf liner under the chips.... will see how long that lasts.

I also have the whole unit bolted to the wall.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. n2h20

n2h20 Songster

May 7, 2008
    Pasadena Ca
    NOT A BAD idea... i like it.. i am in the process of building my coop and house. i am looking for some nest box ideas.. this is cheap and easy....

3. dogzrule5

dogzrule5 Songster

Apr 14, 2008
    Sanford, NC
    Right now I'm just using a couple of dish pans but they'll tip fairly easily. I think I'll give this a try myself when I make some changes in my little barn this weekend.

Thanks for the great pictures!!

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Crowing Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    That is a great nest box idea. You do know they will all try to lay in the same 1 or 2 buckets? Often at the same time? LOL

5. plapczynski

plapczynski Songster

Feb 3, 2008
    Chillicothe, OH
    Thanks all! Hopefully with 40 hens at least most of one row will get used. Of course it the all use the same one I can remove the screw and carry the bucket in! [​IMG]

6. Sahara

Sahara Songster

Apr 22, 2008
    Keystone Heights, FL
    Looks great! I enjoy seeing what others are doing that is outside of the norm. Thanks for sharing.

7. countryatheart

countryatheart In the Brooder

May 3, 2008
    Victoria, TX
    Thanks for sharing your idea! I am still trying to decide how I want to make mine! I have until July!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: