New on the yard šŸ“

renthehen

In the Brooder
May 16, 2023
Hey yā€™all! My name is Ren and my boyfriend montana and I recently moved to Ohio to his grandads farm. We have already gotten chickens, quails, ducks and Guinea. We have had a lot of learning lessons, even after just six short months! We built our own incubators and hatched all of our birds. We have built every structure, coop and brooder from either found materials from around the farm and old barns or trees cut straight from the woods. Definitely realizing that we could have used a little architectural advice on our main chicken coop. We are selling eggs, as they start arriving and just did our first harvesting of a batch of male quails today. It was an experience. I was very sad to be doing this but like I told our families, if we can buy chicken from the grocery store then we HAVE to be able to harvest it ourselves or weā€™re just bad people. Plans are to keep everything as holistic and natural as possible; no GMOs and we try to stay away from anything big pharma related.

We have a mobile welding and fabrication business which we are still trying to get going. Ohio is a lot different economy than St. Petersburg, florida! This is why we hope the various birds will help us have a little side income as well as let us be more self sufficient! Happy to take any tips but mainly just wanted to introduce myself. I have tried to comment on posts before but never went through with making a profile. Glad I finally did.

So I actually do have one question. Anyone who has quails would know they can be aggressive with each other. But we had what we think was a weasel break into our quail tractor the other night and got three. One was injured pretty badly (donā€™t know if it was from that or just quail fighting) and I didnā€™t notice for about two days. Once I noticed I cleaned the wounds with soap and water, then peroxide and then an ointment of coconut oil, turmeric, cinnamon and ginger powders. This is what I would use for just about any wound and have had success with it in the past with the birds. Anyway, I think it was just too little too late and we decided to give him mercy today when we did our other quails. We werenā€™t sure if we should eat a bird with an infection, so we gave it to the fish in the pond. If it was attacked by a weasel or whatever it was, probably the bacteria from their mouth got into the poor baby. Iā€™d love any thoughts anyone has.

Back
Top Bottom