New Owner of 11 beautiful hens

Here are more pics of the coop inside and the laying box.Anything I should change on those? I am planning to replace roosting balusters and change the design of laying box so it extends to the back a bit and so i can open the lid from top instead of how it currently is setup. Thank you everyone.

Attachments

• IMG_20211021_091839.jpg
    IMG_20211021_091839.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20211021_091813.jpg
    IMG_20211021_091813.jpg
    643.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20211021_091810.jpg
    IMG_20211021_091810.jpg
    603.2 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20211021_091743.jpg
    IMG_20211021_091743.jpg
    440 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20211021_091740.jpg
    IMG_20211021_091740.jpg
    278.2 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20211021_091706.jpg
    IMG_20211021_091706.jpg
    968.6 KB · Views: 2
The birds could be molting but I would also check them over for any pests such as mites. Some mites come out and feed on the birds during the day and others only feed on the birds at night after they roost. I use a headlamp so I have both of my hands free to inspect the birds. I also use some paper towels and rub the towels on and under the roosts and look for any streaks on the paper which is also a sign of mites. You mentioned your roosts are 2x2's. I use 2x4's I have had no issues over the many years. If you do have mites there are sprays and poultry dust. I totally spray inside the coops everywhere. I use permethrin concentrate but I have several coops and when I do one coop I do them all. I use the poultry dust in the nest boxes. Permethrin is safe and there is no egg withdrawal period so the eggs are safe to eat. Weekly repeated treatments for 3 or 4 weeks are necessary because it doesn't kill the mites eggs but will as they hatch out so weekly treatments are a must. You can get permethrin at any farm and feed store such as TSC. Again good luck...
Permethrin10ConcentrateMix.jpg

Attachments

• PermethrinSprayR.jpg
    PermethrinSprayR.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 2
  • PoultryDust.jpg
    PoultryDust.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 2
  • MartinsPen&PoultrySpray.jpg
    MartinsPen&PoultrySpray.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 2
  • Permethrin10Concentrate.jpg
    Permethrin10Concentrate.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 2
Also as far as your nest boxes one nest box is good for 4 or 5 birds. They do not each need a nest box. Often times when a bird lays in a certain nest box several of the other birds will too. I had issues with birds in one coop so I made a community nest box out of scrap wood. I have access to all of my nest boxes from outside of the coops.
20210629_194438.jpg
Again, good luck and have fun...

Here are more pics of the coop inside and the laying box.Anything I should change on those? I am planning to replace roosting balusters and change the design of laying box so it extends to the back a bit and so i can open the lid from top instead of how it currently is setup. Thank you everyone.
Do you have a ridge vent on that roof? Are the spaces between the rafters completely open in the soffit area?
If not, I would add both.
I would also secure the soffits and all the windows with 1/2" hardware cloth, never chicken wire.
As mentioned, you only need one nest box per 4 to 5 birds. The only thing that I would add is a perch to the second level nest boxes. That way when a bird jumps up to use a box they don't have to jump right to the lip of a box that may already be occupied.

Quick update with pics attached. Hens became very worried and there is no hook for the door from inside(they never cared for them at night i guess) and i was scared that they would start flying and i cant contain all of them and they will run out at night and get eaten by bears, coyotes, foxes, racoons and everything else that lives around in abundance.

So i will have to postpone hen inspection and ass wash till tomorrow so i can secure the door from inside while i am containing her.

I think i also understood why some chickens have picked feathers from their asses and this one has such bad leaks on her ass this might be coming from hen that sleeps above that hen. What do you all think ? Does the pic show how close they are so poop drops on one hens head literally I saw it, pretty disgusting and she poked the pooping hen in the ass. The hen that has all bold ass has shit falling on her vent area from above chicken, saw that too... What do you all think?

Attachments

• IMG_20211021_212240.jpg
    IMG_20211021_212240.jpg
    601 KB · Views: 1
Quick update with pics attached. Hens became very worried and there is no hook for the door from inside(they never cared for them at night i guess) and i was scared that they would start flying and i cant contain all of them and they will run out at night and get eaten by bears, coyotes, foxes, racoons and everything else that lives around in abundance.

So i will have to postpone hen inspection and ass wash till tomorrow so i can secure the door from inside while i am containing her.

I think i also understood why some chickens have picked feathers from their asses and this one has such bad leaks on her ass this might be coming from hen that sleeps above that hen. What do you all think ? Does the pic show how close they are so poop drops on one hens head literally I saw it, pretty disgusting and she poked the pooping hen in the ass. The hen that has all bold ass has shit falling on her vent area from above chicken, saw that too... What do you all think?
I think it might be a good idea to lower the upper end of the roost to reduce the incline so none of that happens and the chickens stay clean. Also, um. This is a family forum, open to kids as young as 13, so we try to watch our language. 😉

I think it might be a good idea to lower the upper end of the roost to reduce the incline so none of that happens and the chickens stay clean. Also, um. This is a family forum, open to kids as young as 13, so we try to watch our language. 😉
Ii am so sorry about that. Will make sure to use more professional language moving forward. Thank you so much for kind words. I will change that design a bit. They seem to be too close so the accidents and anger happen. I am hoping to inspect the bald vent hen tonight and post update here.

Thank you so much everyone!!!!

Back
Top Bottom