new parents

fowlin

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 26, 2011
we just got our first guinea gang. a little surprised how cute they really are.
84019_4_days_old_1.jpg

84019_4_days_old_9.jpg

84019_4_days_old_3.jpg

You should frame those pictures and keep them on a shelf. That way, 6 months from now, after those cute lil fuzzies turn into an army of insane, screeching, high speed zombies, you can look at the photos to prevent yourself from killing them all, lol.

Cute keets Fowlin!
love.gif

Hope someone has already warned you that Guineas are addicting!!!
wee.gif

I started with only 7 Pearl Greys over 4 years ago, now I have 49 adults and 88 keets (10 more eggs in the hatcher AND 3 full incubators hummin' away)
th.gif

PS...
In case you don't already know, newspaper lining the brooder is really bad for your keets, it can cause splayed legs from it being too slippery for them. Try a thick layer of clean straw, grass hay or coarse flake shavings... and in a pinch an old towel without any loose strings on it works too. I use rubberized shelf liner for my newly hatched keets for the 1st few days... then onto grass hay or straw for a few days, then onto shavings at about a week old.

Last edited:
Good to know.i didn't know anything about splayed leg. it became obvious that news paper and bird poop would not work. Within minutes of the sixteen of them being home we new we could not let them walk and lay in their poop. I was just so exited about them I went for the camera before the shavings. the paper and cardboard is for a little absorbency underneath.
84019_keets_day_2-3_021.jpg

just getting a few feathers. the first feeder i put in with them is green, next I put the purple one in and they avoided it and would only go to the green one. it concerned me because it seemed like they needed the feeder space all crowded around one with another feeder less than a foot away. later I moved the purple one to the other side of the box now they seem to prefer the purple one. ??? will they always be this finicky? i'm guessing it gets worse.
84019_keets_day_2-3_012.jpg

You're lucky they got used to the new one so quickly. Someone on here had a bunch of them starve to death because they wouldn't go near the new feeder. They do seem to get a bit better but any time I put in a different feed dish I leave the old one in until I'm sure they're all used to the new one.

LOL... yes they will probably always be that finicky, Guineas can't deal with change very well. Wait 'til they grow up and start free ranging and see something new in your yard, everything is a new boogey man out to get them
ep.gif
Gotta love these crazy birds tho
love.gif

Glad you got the newspaper thing figured out before you had to deal with splayed legs!

Your babies are looking good, Congrats!
thumbsup.gif

84252_mixedbatch3-2011.jpg

Back
Top Bottom