NEW PHOTOS ADDED---Melbourne the Australorp's Newest Adventure!

Preservation Acres

Songster
11 Years
Dec 31, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN
Melbourne the Australorp is just a little over a year old, and she's had one heck of a life so far. About 6 months ago, she decided it was a good time to go broody, so I picked up a dozen mix breed fertile eggs from a neighbor...here's how it turned out.
Kidswithchickens003-1.jpg

Life was good until Mel was attacked by a neighbor's dog several months later. I was sure she wouldn't make it. Her wounds were horrible, but 35 stitches and 2 months later, Mel decided to go broody again.

This time, I gave her 5 fertile black Cayuga duck eggs, and she took right to them. This is Mel's second brood...by a hen who's never "been" with a rooster.
MelBroody002.jpg

Her little ducklings are scheduled to hatch on March the 29th...I'll keep you posted!

Last edited:
She's definitely my favorite hen. I moved her inside today because the hatch will be soon, and I don't want the little ducklings to be attacked by the other chickens.

Mel's a sweet chicken but a vicious mother, and moving her inside is the best for everyone in the coop's safety!

Quote:
It seems that way. When she's not broody, it's non-stop egg laying. She's the only Australorp I have, but if they're all like her, I'd definitely recommend the breed to anyone.

Quote:
It seems that way. When she's not broody, it's non-stop egg laying. She's the only Australorp I have, but if they're all like her, I'd definitely recommend the breed to anyone.

Mine was the same way, egg machine. Laid eggs every day for 9 months untill she tried to go broody, luckily I was able to break her of it quickly and easily. Would definately recommend Australorps to people in the future, very friendly egg machines.

Back
Top Bottom