NEW PICS! GENDER of Rosie? BR/ EE cross. 7wks old now

Soupy is a boy, the other one is a girl. I heard the same thing others have posted...boys do not get their tail feathers as fast. Does soupy have bigger thicker shanks also?

So far, we're split 50-50 on Rosie being a pullet half the time and Soupy being a pullet half the time!!!
Hit me with some educated guesses with explainations folks, I can take it!!
wink.png

I hear roosters can be more friendlier than pullets, but some can be evil. Since they are crosses, look out for big bonier legs and a larger more pink comb. I think it'd be best to wait a few more weeks, then post some more pictures. Some of our experts can probably sex them by then.

Basing the gender on how fast the tail feathers come in isn't always accurate. I had a Rhode Island Red "rooster" that didn't get tail feathers until "he" was like three weeks old! Even after that "he" took forever to feather out. All my pullets had tail feathers within the first week! The "rooster" ended up being the first to give me an egg
wink.png

I'd say take some pictures at three or four weeks of age and it'll be easier to tell.

Fast or slow feathering is in the birds genes....some breeds are breed for males to have slower feather growth.......but you would have to know how they were breed in previous generations to know for sure. It will be hard to compare the two as one or the other. It could very well be two roos or two pullets. It is a coin flip right now....if you post some pics when they are a little older it might be a little different.
wink.png
To me they both look like pullets but they is still a 50/50.

I would say Rosie is a pullet and Soupy is a cockerel. This is based on the age of the birds. At 7 weeks Soupy has very red and pronounced comb and wattles comming in. He also has the light coloring and barring of a BR cockerel. Well that is my half cent thoughts.

Quote:
See into the future much? The 7 week picture is the father, not Soupy
wink.png
Soupy is 3 weeks old.

Only reason I'm poking fun is because I made the same mistake when I first looked at the pictures.

Quote:
See into the future much? The 7 week picture is the father, not Soupy
wink.png
Soupy is 3 weeks old.

Only reason I'm poking fun is because I made the same mistake when I first looked at the pictures.

Nice pick-up Uzuri.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom