New pictures of Hershey aka HE-She, the ROOSTER! and Cocoa roo too?

babyrnlc

Songster
8 Years
Jan 30, 2011
Tulsa, Ok
So my long drawn out, is Hershey a roo or pullet, has finally ended. He is 7 1/2 months old. Still no crow, but this guy has shown his colors! He is a he. Still not trying to get with the girls and he is still low on the pecking order. He is our only roo, unless cocoa is also a roo (which I am thinking probably). They were sold to me as BCM pullets, and they are clearly neither!

DSC_0033-2.jpg

DSC_0045.jpg

DSC_0028-1.jpg

Here is cocoa, it is 6 1/2 months old. The comb has me stumped though, it is not even close to red.

DSC_0018-1.jpg

DSC_0011-2.jpg

I know on your other thread I said that Cocoa might be a pullet, but now I am thinking she is actually a he also. I see an awful lot of shiny feathers coming in on the neck and back and those wings are getting awfully red and patchy.
hmm.png

Didn't realize the last bird was a different one. However, without better pictures, I still say Roo from those deep colored shoulders...

Both roos. Hens don't get the red in the shoulders like that. Marans are very late developers so your boys will get more boyish with every passing day.

Lanae

Quote:
Are Marans usually late bloomers? I have 3 FBCM that I hatched from dark eggs from a very nice line. I only got 3 that made it (darn shipped eggs!) and even though they are less than 4 mos old, I know I have 2 roos and one pullet. The roos already have LONG hackle, saddle, and tail feathers. They're as obviously roosters as my Blue Andalusian and Wheaten Penedesenca roos the same age, though they aren't crowing like my Mediterranean boys.
wink.png

They're definitely mixed. The way those feathers stand up on the head and something about just the way they look makes me think they have a silkie grandparent or great-grandparent. Not anything recent or they'd have odd combs and lots of leg feathering.

2nd is a roo if you look closely you can actually see the saddle feathers poking through, usually when cockerels are raised together there is one that is obvious and the others hiding in the wings hence this late bloomer
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom