New Pigeon

What does the black eye mean? He has one of each; one black and one orange like hers.

I think that is Pie-bald (Pied-bald?) which is pigment missing from the feathers and when there are white feathers around the eye it can cause one or both to lose their pigment as well, showing the dark beneath the iris.

They can have different coloured eyes... just like some people. I have a few with one solid black eye and one eye of another colour.

Your new bird will eventually pair up with the other one... even if they are the same sex because their urge to be a pair is so strong.

The toe sexing method does not work, sorry. If only it was that easy!!! I still make mistakes in sexing my birds and I have been keeping them for 20 years!! Sometimes one will be small and delicate looking and it is a male.. other times I have had big birds with lost of colours on their necks, thick heavy set bodies and big heads.. which behave aggressively and even coo and bow and chase other birds.. only for them to turn out to be females!!!

Back
Top Bottom