New pullet laying multiple soft eggs a day

I have an almost 24wk RIR that has been laying for about 3 weeks. Her first 10 days of laying, she laid 12 eggs. Some days she laid 2 soft-shelled eggs. There were a few pee wee sized hard shell eggs, as well. I had the same concerns about her health and switching feed because I also have younger birds in my flock.
She *seems* to be regulating herself. She has taken a day off here and there between laying, and the last few eggs have been hard shelled. I have been making sure to keep the oyster shell container full and that’s about all I can do. I hope your bird regulates soon!

Hello! New to the forum and new to keeping chickens! I have 4 White Rocks and 1 Plymouth Rock that are about 5-6 months old. Two of them just started laying 5 days ago. A third one has started "pooping" out 2 eggs a night without any shells. She drops them while she is roosting. I have read that this may be common for new layers but its been consistently 2 "eggs" for the last few nights. I switched them over to a layer feed yesterday and have been offering oyster shells on the side since the beginning. I also read that I could mix the oyster shells in with the layer feed for an extra calcium boost. Should I be concerned about the shell less eggs and the frequency of them at this point (2 per night). Also interestingly one of the two who have been laying stopped laying yesterday and today. Not sure if I'm doing something wrong or not. Any help would be great! I am feeding them organic layer feed (now) and offering oyster shells on the side. They also get less than 10% treats daily, usually a mix of tomatoes, watermelon and freeze dried worms. We also have been missing a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar into their 5 gallon waterer. Thank you!!!

Wow, I guess we are not alone in dealing with multiple soft eggs. MarkoT, I wish I could help but since I first posted the same pullet has laid another 4 soft shelled eggs. Some just a couple hours apart.

I'm trying to feed her layer mash by separating her from the younger pullets. Also bought Rooster Booster. Fed her some egg shells. Still the same results. I guess it might take a few days for all of those things to pay off. Whigru, you do give me some hope. I will try to remember to post back if I see any improvement.

Thought I'd give an update on our chicken. She continued to lay two soft shelled eggs a day for almost the first 3 weeks. Now the last week she has given us one good solid egg a day. In fact she lays just before sunrise each day. We got one double yolker from her. I ended up giving her the Rooster Booster but not the liquid calcium. Honestly I don't know if it made a difference. She just had to get the kinks worked out.

Glad that she is consistently giving us an egg a day now!

Hello! New to the forum and new to keeping chickens! I have 4 White Rocks and 1 Plymouth Rock that are about 5-6 months old. Two of them just started laying 5 days ago. A third one has started "pooping" out 2 eggs a night without any shells. She drops them while she is roosting. I have read that this may be common for new layers but its been consistently 2 "eggs" for the last few nights. I switched them over to a layer feed yesterday and have been offering oyster shells on the side since the beginning. I also read that I could mix the oyster shells in with the layer feed for an extra calcium boost. Should I be concerned about the shell less eggs and the frequency of them at this point (2 per night). Also interestingly one of the two who have been laying stopped laying yesterday and today. Not sure if I'm doing something wrong or not. Any help would be great! I am feeding them organic layer feed (now) and offering oyster shells on the side. They also get less than 10% treats daily, usually a mix of tomatoes, watermelon and freeze dried worms. We also have been missing a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar into their 5 gallon waterer. Thank you!!!

I had this with a 17 week pullet. I had raw garlic and apple cider vinegar in their water just temporary bc of some stubborn coccidia they had that didn’t respond to medicine (the natural method worked better and boosted immunity for them to fight it). Anyway when I stopped the garlic the two soft eggs per day went down to one. I had always heard acv could strengthen egg shells (????) but it was the only thing it could be. I did some google searches and read it can actually prevent proper calcium absorption. I stopped the acv and within two days her egg shells were normal and healthy and have been since. They only get feed and plain water now. Plus crushed egg shells for calcium as needed. Omit the acv and see if your ladies improve.

Back
Top Bottom