New Rabbit! Showable?

annanicole18

Songster
10 Years
Mar 16, 2009
Cincinnati, OH
Hi everyone! Just got a new baby and had some questions. Sorry for the one less than stellar picture we got home in the dark so I only have pictures from previous owner. This is Astrid (unless my husband wins the name debate she has only been home 12 hours) I was told she is a 8 week old lionhead. She is harlequin with a tiny white spot which would technically make her vienna marked? Would love it if some breeders it rabbit knowledgable people would share what they know about showing lionheads. The previous owner said she was showable but everything I had read before and after getting her says she can't earn CH legs due to her color not being officially recognized here in the U.S. Regardless she was the color and breed I was looking for and I am so excited to have found her! I will get better photos when I get home again.

Attachments

• received_1806910532685481.jpeg
    received_1806910532685481.jpeg
    106.2 KB · Views: 18
Hello neighbor! I’m about an hour east of you. Not sure about showing her as I am just starting out on this breed. She is beautiful though! What breeder did you get her from?
I got her from an individual not a breeder. She said she did plan to breed Astrid when she was older. No idea where she came from but as the original breeder let her leave mom at 4 weeks according to previous owner I don't think much of the breeder. What colors do you currently have?

If your rabbit isn't a recognized color, it is disqualified from showing. If you entered her in a show, all you would do is waste your money, because the judge would just put it off the table for being an unshowable color - she wouldn't even count as one in the class that the other rabbits beat. Even if she was a recognized color, a white marking like you describe would also be a DQ (incidentally, that white marking could be either Vienna or Dutch marking; they often look alike, though considering how many folks like to play with BEW in the Lionheads, Vienna does seem to be more likely). If her ears are as long as that at 8 weeks, she most likely will wind up weighing more than the maximum showable weight, and she kinda looks like she might be single-maned, all of which would rule her out as a show rabbit . . . but, fortunately, none of these things have anything to do with her being a great pet.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom