new research debunks trad views on nutrition

another couple of relevant pieces here, focussed on modern paranoia about microbes, our food industry approach to hygiene regulations, and the excessive and often unnecessary emotional as well as economic burden the latter places on small producers.

https://sustainablefoodtrust.org/ne...about-contamination-is-threatening-local-food
https://sustainablefoodtrust.org/news-views/preserving-the-practices-of-traditional-foods
Sigh. These things go hand in hand. The further removed we are from the creation of our food the more essential it is to us to be reassured it is clean and safe.
When I bring my home baked lemon tart to lunch with friends on Sunday nobody is going to be worried about about food borne illness. They may rightly worry about it clogging their arteries, but that is a different story.
I guess small producers get caught in the middle although I find it hard to believe that the lady who sells fresh muffins at the small Farmers market near me has a lot of industrial cleaning going on. She told me she bakes them in her kitchen at home.

I thought they were the same thing. What’s the difference?
Ghee is clarified butter, but clarified butter is not ghee in the same way a brick roux for gumbo is a roux, but not the roux you use for making gravy.

To make ghee, you cook the butter you are clarifying longer, removing not only all the water content but also browning the milk solids before straining them out later, which leaves a "nuttier" flavor in the resulting product.

By the way, browning the milk solids creates chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer (acrilamydes). Regretful consequence of the Maillard reaction under almost all circumstances. That said, "the dosage is the poison". Its a risk I'll happily take in moderation, because the amounts present are so small - particularly when considering the amount of coffee I consume daily.

Sigh. These things go hand in hand. The further removed we are from the creation of our food the more essential it is to us to be reassured it is clean and safe.
When I bring my home baked lemon tart to lunch with friends on Sunday nobody is going to be worried about about food borne illness. They may rightly worry about it clogging their arteries, but that is a different story.
I guess small producers get caught in the middle although I find it hard to believe that the lady who sells fresh muffins at the small Farmers market near me has a lot of industrial cleaning going on. She told me she bakes them in her kitchen at home.
Around here there's always a horror story about food poisoning from potluck potato salad.

Also hanging intact old birds to age before plucking and gutting freaks people out. I don't know what they think people did a hundred years ago before refrigerators. Not everyone had ice to save for summer.

Around here there's always a horror story about food poisoning from potluck potato salad.

Also hanging intact old birds to age before plucking and gutting freaks people out. I don't know what they think people did a hundred years ago before refrigerators. Not everyone had ice to save for summer.
Lots of the EU still doesn't have refrigeration, in spite of being accorded first world nation status, otherwise. (Part of why EU fresh egg handling and storage rules are radically different than US egg handling and storage rules).

Food safety is an exercise in line drawing and risk management. Most of us would choose to draw the lines in differing places then have been chosen by our respective Gov'ts.

Ghee is clarified butter, but clarified butter is not ghee in the same way a brick roux for gumbo is a roux, but not the roux you use for making gravy.

To make ghee, you cook the butter you are clarifying longer, removing not only all the water content but also browning the milk solids before straining them out later, which leaves a "nuttier" flavor in the resulting product.

By the way, browning the milk solids creates chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer (acrilamydes). Regretful consequence of the Maillard reaction under almost all circumstances. That said, "the dosage is the poison". Its a risk I'll happily take in moderation, because the amounts present are so small - particularly when considering the amount of coffee I consume daily.
Can you find anything that some study or other doesn't say has some harmfull effects?:lol:

Back
Top Bottom