New rooster hen-pecked

JW WILLIAMS

Hatching
Mar 15, 2022
Hello, we have 7 amberlink hens (raised from chicks). They are very docile and personable. They are about a year old in march. We just got a Rhode Island Red rooster (approximately 7 months old). We know about the introduction period (still separate in the pen) but it’s been over 3 weeks now and the girls still peck him. He will just hide his head. We let them out to free range and he stays close until someone decides she needs a little taste of him. He will get away if he stays on guard. How much more time should we allow? Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

I’m no expert but I think at some point he will mature physically enough that they won’t be able to pick on them. If anything he might dominate them for a while. I just don’t know what point that is. Honestly I would’ve thought 7 months would be old enough m, especially with you having an introductory period, but I guess it could take another 2-3 months or so.

Sometimes you will get birds that just do not work together. I never separate my new roosters, and while it has taken a couple of weeks for him to roost with them, they work it out. By 7 months he should be good size.

What does your coop and run look like? I like a lot of clutter in my run, roosts, ladders, pallets- all places where birds can get away from each other.

Would you post pictures of your rooster and your set up?

Back
Top Bottom