New rooster, not sure how to fit him in to my flock. Any suggestions?

FolkSonginC

Songster
May 2, 2019
Peaks Island, ME
A few months ago I hatched out a chick, unfortunately only one, and he was sex-linked so I know he's a male. He's about 2 and a half months old now and I'm not sure where he's going to be living. The thing is I already have a small flock with a rooster, and I know he can't live with them long term because he'll fight with the other rooster and they could over-breed the hens, of which I only have 5. I have two other pens, one with two silkies, one a rooster, and a hamburg. The other one has three ducks and they have a sizable house to go into at night.

Ideally I want to be able to keep both roosters. In the meantime I've been sectioning off the chick in the regular chicken coop, as when I let them interact the adults attack him. My original idea was to get the chick and the rooster acquainted when he was young, which he is, and then once they know each other move them both to the duck pen and have them live there, and add roosting bars to the duck house, as I read if they are separated from the hens they won't fight. Is this plausible? So far I haven't gotten the rooster to be civil with the chick, as whenever they have contact he mounts him. I'm also wondering why he does this.

My other idea was to put him in with the bantams, but when he's bigger I worry he will bully them.

Any suggestions? I obviously don't want him to live alone, so if this sounds like none of it will work I guess I will have to get rid of one of them. But any advice would be greatly appreciated

If the two personalities are compatible, the older rooster will "educate" the youngster as to his place in the social order, so this is the ideal time to introduce the two to each other.

I would section off a rooster pen so the two don't get distracted by the hens during this period of adjustment. Later, the older rooster will keep an eye on the cockerel and discipline him when he's showing improper behavior toward the hens.

This is what normally happens. If this rooster takes a strong dislike to the male chick, you'll find out pretty quickly that the two probably aren't going to be able to have a peaceful relationship. Be prepared to rescue the youngster if you see this happening.

If the two personalities are compatible, the older rooster will "educate" the youngster as to his place in the social order, so this is the ideal time to introduce the two to each other.

I would section off a rooster pen so the two don't get distracted by the hens during this period of adjustment. Later, the older rooster will keep an eye on the cockerel and discipline him when he's showing improper behavior toward the hens.

This is what normally happens. If this rooster takes a strong dislike to the male chick, you'll find out pretty quickly that the two probably aren't going to be able to have a peaceful relationship. Be prepared to rescue the youngster if you see this happening.
When separating them from the hens, should they be completely out of view? Also, do you have any idea why the rooster would mount the chick? That happened the last time I tried to introduce them

Mounting the chick is not what mature roosters usually do, even if the chick was a pullet. A good rooster mounts hens or pullets that are hormonally ready to lay eggs and send out a signal they are receptive.

Perhaps your rooster isn't the splendid chap you thought he was. The mounting behavior in this case is to show the chick dominance. It doesn't bode well for a good relationship, though.

I'd say try it. Watch the two closely and be ready to extract the youngster if things get rough. After the innitial dominance display, hopefully things will settle down.

Back
Top Bottom