New San Diego County Oridnance On Number of Roosters

Hey everyone,

I've been emailed by the Department of Animal Services, asking for a meeting with me regarding the ordinance in hopes that we can reach some kind of agreement. What all would you guys like to see them do in order to help minimize cockfighting yet still support the rights of individual breeders, hobbyists and rescues?

I was thinking if anyone would like to have more than the proposed ordinace would allow would have to register with the Dept. of Animal Services as wither a hobbyist, breeder or rescue. Then if someone HASN'T registered with them and still has over the limit, they'll have 30 days to register and if they haven't registered within those 30 days they'll have to agree to get rid of their chickens within another 30 days.

Let me know what you guys think of that and if you have anything else you'd like me to bring up at our meeting.

Thank you!

Quote:
I would be okay with having to be registered as a breeder/hobbyist. I would even be happy to disclose the breeds that I have and allow an inspection. I would even pay a reasonable permit fee, if absolutly neccessary, but I wouldn't bring that up unless I had to. lol

Okay - I have been reading some of the articles to understand the arguments for this ordiance. The first one says this ordinance would make up for the fact that in SD county, cockfighting is misdemeanor, not a felony. Why don't they make it a felony, then? Bill Horn (Who is the only councilman to vote against the measure, supports making it a felony) We could support that effort, as responsible poultry keepers. Heres the link to that article: http://www.fox5sandiego.com/news/kswb-rooster-ordinance-county-limits-most-residents-to-one-rooster-20110802,0,7526880.story

This
is a informational article on SD County website - it talks about how cruel cockfighting is, and basically lumps all poultry breeders into the cockfighter catagory - it also talks about how this gives them huge amounts of power for search warrants, etc. I'm thinking the registered breeder thing could address that part of what they want - I know they really want to easily obtain search & seizure warrents. http://www.sdcounty.ca.gov/Portal/News/2011/Aug/080211rooster.html

Apparently
there is an activist group involved, I won't post it, but they had a rep at the meetings - Google search "SD County Rooster Ordinance" and scroll down, you'll find it.

Here's a link that shows that there already laws about noise - so why do they need to limit roos - there is already laws to address the problem: http://www.sandiego.gov/nccd/noise/animal.shtml

Also
, does BYC have a record of the # of member that are SD County resident? It would be good to walk into there with a number so we can say - this is how many hobbiest you are affecting, this is how many people will loose thier pets, thier incomes, the hobby and the breeds will loose advocates, etc...

Just some ideas...let me know what u think

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay :

If I lived in town with neighbors mere feet away I would NOT want to have roosters crowing in my neighbor's yard. That is no different than having a barking dog for a neighbor.

This ordinance covers the unincorporated parts of San Diego. For the most part, these are large parcels between 1/2 acre to 5 acres, and many are much larger. Traditionally, a lot of the unicorporated part of the county has been agriculture, and those moving into those areas should be aware what the zoning laws permit. For example, I am permitted chickens, pigeons, horses, sheep, goats, bees, and with permits, i may keep exotic animals - perhaps like tigers? When we moved, we deliberately chose to buy in an area (the uncorporated county portion of a city) that was zoned for this, just so I could legally have my poultry. In my area, almost everyone has poultry, horses, sheep and goats. For most incorporated areas, people are not living "within feet of each other" like they do in the city. I am sure that you will find that most citites already prohibit roosters, and if I chose to live in a city, I would follow the law of that city. But I chose to live where I am zoned for agriculture, so I should be allowed to retain my right to farm!

I am guessing that you are not from SD, and are unaware that the unincorporated county is usually rural and zoned for many kinds of agriculture, although in recent times housing developments have been encroaching on these areas. This law would change the number of roos allowed in these rural agriculturally zoned areas, if I am not mistaken.

I don't know where you live, but if it's in San Diego County, there are noise ordinaces that address greivences like loud roosters. If you live in a city, there are city regulations adressing roosters.​

Last edited:
If you wanted cockfighting to be a felony, you should have gotten involved when California SB 425 was being written. That is not something San Diego County can do.

And, no one saw this coming? Really? With all those other counties in California changing their codes because of the fighting roosters no one in San Diego County thought to themselves "hey, we might be next"?

This new code was written with the blessing of the local poultry associations, egg farms, etc. And, I know for a fact, because I was actually at the BOS meeting on August 2, that it is not anywhere near as restrictive as the people who don't raise chickens wanted it to be.

Carefully read the new code and figure out for yourself how it will affect you. Then decide if you want to do something about it.

And, look on the bright side, with all the restrictions the county has on other animals in their zoning ordinances, it could be much worse. Right now, in most areas, you can have quite a few chickens (which most people would assume are hens). If they change the Zoning for your area, you would not only need to get rid of roosters, but you would also need to get rid of hens. Really think about it, this code is about rooster fighting and noise.

I think the intentions of this new code are all GOOD. The County has had a horrible time trying to control the fighting roosters and noise. The DA and Courts will not cooperate and continue to make it easier for the rooster fighters to do whatever they want. Very simply, the current codes make it an impossible situation to control. Unfortunately, it is like leash laws. Most decent folk do not need to have a law to tell us to keep our dog from harassing other people or animals. Now it is the law - you have to keep the dog on a leash, pick up after it, get it licensed, prove it has a rabies shot, etc. Can you imagine what would happen if they told you that you needed to chip all of your roosters, license them every year, and notify Animal Control if they died just so they could trace any birds found at rooster fights back to the original owner?

Have you read the new codes for the other counties, like Riverside?

Do you have any idea how much money the rooster problem has cost the County taxpayers?

I love my cats - no I am not a hoarder - but let's say I lived next to you and my cats started eating all your chicks. Would you want me to control them? I had an outside cat that my neighbors complained about and I had to confine him to the house. Fair? I have my rights, but I don't get them at the expense of everyone else.

If there is an acceptable, workable, solution let your County Supervisor know. If you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom