New shipment of chicks. 2 are very weak, won't eat or drink or stand.

chickencrazyinHT

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 19, 2010
Got a shipment of 50 chicks today. 2 of them are very weak and won't eat or drink or stand. They are breathing, just very lethargic. I have isolated them but can I give them Pedialyte or buy some chick vitamins? All of them seemed ok when we got them out of the box but these 2 weak ones were trying to rest and were trampled so much that I put them by themselves. For hours they have layed there and won't do anything but breathe. Just need to know what to do now?

If it were me, I would hold them. Take them out and just hold them in my cupped hands, nice and cozy. They will feel the warmth and may perk up. Hold them against my chest and snuggle. They may have a hard ride and need a rest. If they wake up, then offer some plain water.

I've read GroGel is good for this? Also, I had a business years ago raising exotic birds (parrots) and I would use pedialite for a quick boost when ill.....I would think it would be fine for the baby chicks as well?....just be careful you dont get it down their windpipe. You would want to just get a slight drop into them and see if that would encourage them (you want to go into the left side, angling towards the right side of the birds mouth) IMHO

You can give them pedialyte but sav a chick is better. do you have a feed store or tractor supply nearby. Sav a chick is basically pedialyte for chicks. It will help
hugs.gif
love.gif
!!!

I would put them together in a little towel or rag, and hold them together, and I'd give them a little bit of warm liquid...Or maybe some vitamin/electrolite water...Give it to them with a dropper.

Then just hold them, if you have time, while you watch TV so you can warm them up. Or place them under a heat lamp all snuggled together. Just make sure you don't fry them.

They might just perk up for you.

Thanks for the replies, Im going to try these things. I dipped one of the chicks beak in water and it drew its head all the way back to where it's head was touching the back of its rear (It was so odd) and it got stiff. I thought it was dying but it's still breathing, only it opens its mouth with jerking movements every 5 or 10 seconds. I just wonder if its possible for a chick to have a seizure b/c thats what it seems like. It's sad b/c I don't think this one is going to make it. If it dies I hope it does before my kids get home from school. They will prob cry seeing it in this condition.

Back
Top Bottom