New Silkie chick just hatched. Help please!

The mom is not going back in the coop at night. We have a safe, enclosed pen out of the wind. It will be 60 degrees as the coolest tonight. I can string up a heat lamp but don’t want to disturb this first time mom. The chick is under her fluff. Will the chick be warm enough? I’m not certain how old the chick is since mom hen has been broody lately. Maybe 3 days old? Chick is fluffed up and stays close to her mom.

The mom is not going back in the coop at night. We have a safe, enclosed pen out of the wind. It will be 60 degrees as the coolest tonight. I can string up a heat lamp but don’t want to disturb this first time mom. The chick is under her fluff. Will the chick be warm enough? I’m not certain how old the chick is since mom hen has been broody lately. Maybe 3 days old? Chick is fluffed up and stays close to her mom.
Heat lamp won't be necessary. Mom will keep him warm enough. Does your coop have a ramp to get in? (looking at your picture in your other post)

Heat lamp won't be necessary. Mom will keep him warm enough. Does your coop have a ramp to get in? (looking at your picture in your other post)
Thanks for the thoughts! My instinct says to leave the chick as is with mom. There is a second coop that isn’t built in sitting below the upper coop. That coop is open on the ground level. I put a separate chick feeder and waterer close by for the baby to be safe.

Thanks for the thoughts! My instinct says to leave the chick as is with mom. There is a second coop that isn’t built in sitting below the upper coop. That coop is open on the ground level. I put a separate chick feeder and waterer close by for the baby to be safe.
It's always fun having the mom raise the baby. Mom will show the chick where food and water is, and how to be a chicken. If momma is not going into the little coop I'd just pick her and the chick up and plop them inside.

Back
Top Bottom